SD Speakers Info Req Please!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Alvi, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Alvi

Alvi

Please could someone help me with some info.
    I have been given a pair of SD speakers, i cannot find any info about this brand. The cabinets are black and around 18"x9"x 12" deep with two pairs of cable connectors on the rear of each speaker, There is a gold coloured badge on the front with SD in black letters. The only other info on the cabinets is the serial number SD3425 hand written on the rear.
    I have these connected to my old but still working marantz CD-65 and Marantz PM34 intergrated stereo amp with Black Rhodium speaker cable and audio acostic high grade ofc cable interconnects and i must say the sound quality is great. fantastic clarity and depth.
    So if anybody can enlighten me about these speakers i would be most greatful.
    Thanks
    Alvi

Alvi, Dec 19, 2003
  2. Alvi

Markus S Trade

Alvi,

SD were a respected British semi-flat earth brand in the 80ies and early 90ies, if my memory serves. Do a search for the Flat Response magazine, someone has archived it on the net, I think there were some reviews there.

Markus S, Dec 20, 2003
  3. Alvi

Alvi

Hi Markus

Thanks for the reply.
    I have tried searching as per your suggestion but alas to no avail,been at it for the last couple of hours but i'll keep looking. Found a link to SD Acoustics but the link was dead.
    Please could you clarify " semi flat earth" to a novice like myself.

Thanks
    Alvi

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2003
    Alvi, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Alvi

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Alvi,

SD Acoustics were based in New Malden, Surrey. They were run by a Dane by the name of Steen Doessing. I think he started of in the PA business. The speakers were some of the earliest speakers to have a split crossover for passive bi-amping & bi-wiring. I think the first SD speaker did come out around the early to mid 80s.

The SD1s were a big floorstanding multi drive affair which had good reviews. The drivers were mounted in an open frame.

The SD2 were stand mounted (low stands) big speaker. I remember Hifi Answers used these for a number of dems at Hifi shows in the 80s.

SD3 were a smaller speaker designed for a tallish stand. I think it is a pair of these that you have. These date from just after the mid 80s. These were refined and made well into the 90s. They did get some good reviews. I think they offered good tune playing capabilities with a good sense of detail & resolution.

I'm not sure what happen to the company, they seem to have disappeared in the late 90's.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Alvi

Alvi

Many Thanks Too you both for the info.
    I am going to continue searching to see what i can tun up

Alvi

Alvi, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Alvi

Alvi

Alvi, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Alvi

SCIDB Moderator

H Alvi,

Looks like the right person. Give him a go.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 22, 2003
  8. Alvi

Markus S Trade

Hi Alvi,

the Flat Response seems to be off the net. Semi flat earth meant that the speakers were liked by reviewers and dealers in the Linn/Naim camp, i.e. PRaT aficionados, but also by people who were more into truth of timbre and soundstaging.

Anyway, now you've found Steen, you'll get info from the horse's mouth.

Markus S, Dec 22, 2003
Ask a Question