Selling a sub - - dodgy details

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by iancity, Aug 5, 2003.

1. iancity

iancity

I am selling a sub on hififorsale, and have been approached by a guy in Budapest, who says he will arrange collection etc, and if I give him my bank details then he will transfer the money to me, upon which he will then arrange for collection of the sub, but only when I am happy the money has gone in.
    Is there anything I should watch out for here - not too happy giving him my bank details, dont see why a cheque cant do?

Any comments please

Thanks, Ian

iancity, Aug 5, 2003
  2. iancity

auric FOSS

Don't give him your details but get him to give you his so that you can then take the money out ohf his account. That way you know that he exists and has the money to pay you!

Don't give him your bank details - it sounds like a scam to me.

Auric

auric, Aug 5, 2003
  3. iancity

Ian J

Why is giving him your bank details a problem as he can't take money out of your account just by knowing the account number. If he managed to do so fraudulently the bank would be liable anyway.

Ian J, Aug 5, 2003
  4. iancity

ram Not Registered

I don't think giving someone your account number and sort code is dodgy. They can't do anything with it apart from paying in. He couldn't maliciously use your account number to make payments i.e. over the internet, he would have to use the long number on your card which is totally different.

Don't give him your address and you should be ok.

But correct me if I'm wrong.
    ________
    JAGUAR AJ6 ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
    ram, Aug 5, 2003
  5. iancity

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I have given many people my bank account details. Its public knowledge anyway.

All you have to give him in order to get the money is your account number and your sort code, nothing else.

There is nothing they can do on line as they need a password. And if they were to go to a bank to draw money with no proof of ID, bank card or anything then he ain't getting any money.

Consider this. Every cheque that has passed through your hands has an account number and sort code on it.

garyi, Aug 5, 2003
Ask a Question