selling things...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

things seem to be getting tougher to sell on....noone wants much anymore, even good stuff, anyone else find this?

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 11, 2003
  2. Lt Cdr Data

HenryT

Absolutely agree with everything you said there, certanly matches up with my own recent experiences.

Either interest in quality audio has reached an all time low, or my own personal theory, folks have got their purse strings tied by other financial commitments so are less willing to splash out on these luxuary items.

Strange thing is, it doesn't seemed to be confined to this country either from what I can tell. Some of the US based traders I've been dealing with on Audiogon recently, I seem to get the impression that they are very eager to sell as if they haven't had much passing trade of late - they will offer good discounts and make sure that you don't get stung too heavily for import taxes so engendering repeat custom.

It's a buyer's market out there at the mo I'd say.

HenryT, Nov 11, 2003
  3. Lt Cdr Data

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Have to admit, haven't had much of problem with that, although I know a few people do by the amount of re-ocurring adverts :rolleyes: I feel at the moment, a lot of people have started to realise that credit cards and low interest rates, won't go on for ever :eek: and that maybe they've over stretched on the remortage etc, but the trend is there's it's a buyers market, unless you have some thing different that people want. Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Lt Cdr Data

penance Arrogant Cock

ah
    you all want more than i can afford:rolleyes: ;)

penance, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Lt Cdr Data

Ya-Boo

Henry,
    Maybe because your in the trade so too speak
    so far I,ve found everyone on audiogon I deal with is as suspious
    as hell, never heard of haggling and get totally parinoid when asked to massage the value of goods on the documentation.

that said I got a MUse 8 at a goodish price....... not quite as good as the hype either.

I got well shafted for import duty .....have you found away around this.....if so could you p.m. me

Kev.

Ya-Boo, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Lt Cdr Data

HenryT

Hi Kev,

I was refering more to the business traders on Audiogon rather than the private sellers. I've not dealt with many private sellers and I've not actually bought anything physically large other than say cables over into this country.

The way around getting stung less for import tax is to get your seller to declare as the item as a "gift". I think business traders call also declare as "trade samples". Then get them to "under-declare" the customs value of the item... Of course if you do the latter, then there could be a problem with the item being under-insured should anything go wrong during shipping (not a problem if you are buying from a business trader as IME they seem to declare the "trade value" of the goods so that they can easily replace if items got lost/stolen), so how much you underdeclare is up to you. As I've said, I've not imported anything large or hugely expensive into this country so couldn't really comment extensively.

HenryT, Nov 11, 2003
  7. Lt Cdr Data

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The VAT boys will clobber you for gifts over the value of £36 and nornal stuff under £18, then you hammered import tax (4%) & those robbing crooks that Mick works for Parcel farce, then have the balls to charge you a handling fee :( . Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 11, 2003
  8. Lt Cdr Data

HenryT

That's because it's had the special WM pre-owned and seal of approval bestoed upon it. ;)

HenryT, Nov 11, 2003
  9. Lt Cdr Data

Robbo

Yes, there seems to be a lot of kit out there at the moment. However quite a lot of stuff I have seen for sale recently seems to be overpriced if you ask me. For example, I recently saw a pair of MF XA200s for sale (which must be at least 5 years old) where the seller was asking £800. Considering they were £1k new, I think he is taking the piss, and would be amazed if they sold at that price.

I reckon if sellers are more realistic with pricing, things will still shift although it may take a bit of time.

Robbo

Robbo, Nov 11, 2003
Ask a Question