SEPARO P88i valve amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Valve Bob, May 10, 2008.

1. Valve Bob

Valve Bob

My amp has 4 x 6SN7 & 4 X KT88's; right rear valve displayed most beautiful arking & blew main fuse.
    Replaced all Chinese valves ( & fuse ) with 'Top-end' ElectroHarmonix valves.
    Right front valve does the same trick, switch off before Armegedon arrives.
    I posted this "sorrow" on this forum & thanks for all the input received.
    I imported this amp directly from China, so no dealer support in South Africa,( only crime & indifference to Zimbabwe).
    I have seen these amps on the 'PACIFIC CREEK' website selling at exhorbitant prices.
    Found a LOCAL YOKEL who builds & repairs valve guitar amps - low & behold, he could not fault the amp, faulty valves - Chinese valve went BANZAI & new ELECTROHARMONIX also faulty.
    He fitted the amp with some USED Chinese valves & after a week phoned me to collect it. (At a price, which I gladly payed).
    He's impressed with the amp, played it for a week before he phoned me.
    No more branded valves for me - if it fits, it works.

Valve Bob, May 10, 2008
  2. Valve Bob

Purite Audio Purite Audio

The gold grid EH's are known to be problematic, they sound ok if you get some good ones, the cheaper blacks face seem much more consistent

Purite Audio, May 10, 2008
  3. Valve Bob

speedy.steve

Interesting: similar layout tube wise to SoH. Do you have any pics of it?
    I've got E.H gold 6SN7's and non gold KT88's.
    Sound great and not had any problems. Prefer the E.H's over Tesla KT88's which sound a little dry in comparison.
    Preferred both over Svetlana's which many rate highly.

Never in 6 years and much use have I had any tube go light show...
    Tried and still roll many of the classic 6SN7's.

One day it will be G.E KT88's...

speedy.steve, May 12, 2008
  4. Valve Bob

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I often read terrible generalisations about Chinese products, and more-so Chinese valves.

Really, the factory itself (equipment, staff etc), specification of the product, care over manufacture have more to do with quality than simple 'continent of manufacture'... which borders on racism when used as a criticism... not to put too finer point on it.

Check out these chinese valves for example

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_nos_china_tubes.htm

I'd find it hard to write about Chinese products at the moment without saying the following..My heart goes out at the moment to China, and the poor people suffering at the hands of the earthquake. I wanted to put some support for them here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...escuers-battle-to-reach-trapped-students.html

bottleneck, May 13, 2008
Ask a Question