Server and router problem

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Apr 25, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Fasthosts is too damn unreliable and I cannot afford to pay for hosting for my self so I have decided to host my .NET sites myself as they are low traffic. I have got a seperate PC running IIS, thats not a problem.

The problem is I have a router, when I type in my connections IP address I just get prompt asking for a username and password for my router's settings.

My router appears to be acting as an HTTP server does anybody know a way round this?

amazingtrade, Apr 25, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

IIRC my router's default was admin with no password. It's a shock when one hits this with not the faintest memory of ever having set it. It was a lucky guess in my case

SteveC, Apr 25, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Slaphead Lurking less

Ok I'll do my best but as I don't know what router you have, so all this advice is a bit generic.

1 Disable remote configuration for your router. It's one hell of a security risk leaving it on, and may prevent you from doing what you want to do

2 Setup port forwarding on the router to redirect all incoming web traffic (port 80) to your IIS local ip address. Make sure you give the server it's own IP address and not rely on the DHCP facility of your router.

This will only be reliable if your ISP has assigned you a static IP address. Also IME you have to type in your connections address from a different connection to view the webserver.

Apologies if you've already been down this road

Andy

edit to add - You can simulate a different connection by going through an open proxy server outside of your network. Do a google on this, there should be plenty around. When you've found one feed the details into your browser or network prefs. Alternatively you could call a mate and see if he can see your server.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2005
    Slaphead, Apr 25, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

robert_cyrus

only thing i can add to this thread is 34sp.com are only £15 a year for hosting.

robert_cyrus, Apr 25, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Yep which is exactly where my MusicinManchester is hosted, I cannot fault their service for PHP4 hosting. However they do not offer IIS ASP.NET hosting and two of my assignments are produced using .NET.

I'll have a play with it later on tonight, I tried before but I had had to take my router apart and give it a hardware reset :cool:

amazingtrade, Apr 25, 2005
Ask a Question