Shanling

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Legzr1, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Legzr1

Legzr1

I'm interested (very !!) in a Shanling SACD player.
    Thanks for all the info AlanBeeb,very helpful.
    I've contacted an importer based in N.Y and i've been told there are 2 types of SACD player - CD-T200 and CD-T200 'C'.
    Anyone know the difference?
    Cheers

Legzr1, Jul 30, 2004
  2. Legzr1

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

As far as I know, and I may be wrong, the 'C' model is just the latest iteration of the same model. I don't think the SCD-T200 is being made anymore. I think main difference is the finish - the T200 is silver with gold trim, while the T200C is silver with metallic grey trim, not quite as garish.
    There may also be firmware differences in the machines, my assumption is that the C model is later.

alanbeeb, Jul 30, 2004
  3. Legzr1

Legzr1

Thanks for that Alan.
    I didn't want to bother you with more PM's :)
    All your answers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Legzr1, Jul 30, 2004
  4. Legzr1

Ken

I was looking at the Shanling range last month, the importer told me that the new 'C' range is electrically identical to the old model.

However the new 'C' range uses Aluminium for the casing whilst the older model used Stainless Steel. This accounts for the difference in colour and the lower price of the 'C'

Ken

Ken, Jul 31, 2004
  5. Legzr1

Some slight bad news from me.... I finally got the customs & VAT bill from DHL, 2 weeks after delivery. Its £161. So in total it cost me £1070, still less than half UK price.

alanbeeb, Aug 1, 2004
  6. Legzr1

Legzr1

Bad luck but,as you say that's still a bargain.
    I'm still waiting to here from Jin (the dealer you told me about) concerning stock levels + delivery details - should be sorted by Tuesday.

Legzr1, Aug 1, 2004
  7. Legzr1

paul2724

I suspect the VAT thing is going to get harder and harder to get away with as time goes on. Its an area being 'worked on' at a European level - eg the recent EU rules forcing foreign companies to charge VAT when selling to customers in the EU...................

paul2724, Aug 2, 2004
  8. Legzr1

Ken

alanbeeb

Could you post your thoughts on the Shanling in detail.

Don't want to read another crap magazine article, just one from a guy who uses one at home.

Ken

Ken, Aug 3, 2004
  9. Legzr1

I will do, but still getting used to it and unfortunately have just tried repositioning my speakers to get a bit more distance between them - something I've been meaning to do for a while - and this seems to have changed the sound quite markedly, not sure for better or worse yet.

I'll post something in the review section in the next few days.

alanbeeb, Aug 3, 2004
  10. Legzr1

Ken

alanbeeb,

I would be interested in hearing your comments with the SCD T200 miss reading discs. I have heard that they have had the earlier problems sorted for a while now, but I would like to hear first hand, from an owner before I splash out, again.

Ken

Ken, Aug 4, 2004
  11. Legzr1

I have not had any problems with misreading discs, but have noticed one slight problem with SACDs (hybrid or single layer) in that the total time for the disc that should be displayed when the disc is stopped is always showing incorrectly.
    Instead of 73.30 or whatever its shows something like 1.15. But it what it displays is always the same for each individual disc - so it must be deriving the figure from somewhere!
    The problem does not occur with redbook CDs. I'm not really bothered about this issue myself and it may be unique to my machine.
    I'll try to do a review of sonic aspects of the machine later today.

alanbeeb, Aug 4, 2004
Ask a Question