Shelf lives - You are where you shop.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by auric, Mar 19, 2004.

1. auric

auric FOSS

Well folks where do you shop and what is your name?

Auric:)

auric, Mar 19, 2004
  2. auric

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Hillarious. Today I shopped at Sainsbury's but I usually shop at Tesco because it's cheaper. I wouldn't be seen dead in Waitrose or M&S (for food - M&S is great for work clothes :) ). And yet I most resemble 'Rupert'. How bizarre :D

technobear, Mar 19, 2004
  3. auric

Sid and Coke

Darrens not such a bad name ;)

Sid and Coke, Mar 19, 2004
  4. auric

julian2002 Muper Soderator

ahhh, yet another attempt by those devils stink nuggets, marketeers, to put everyone into little boxes.
    a load of clown shoes i say.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Mar 20, 2004
  5. auric

Sgt Rock

Are you shy ?

Waitrose and on Thursdays I like to be called Sharon ;)

Sgt Rock, Mar 20, 2004
  6. auric

auric FOSS

Sainsbury's on a Thursday and lifestyle thrall to Sarah Beeney and her juggs:p

auric, Mar 20, 2004
  7. auric

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I thought it interesting, that almost everybody's classification included Tescos! (apart from the Lidl/Iceland subset)

The classless supermarket?

What a load of tosh though. Makes me want to shop at Lidl just to flcok up their statistics.

bottleneck, Mar 20, 2004
  8. auric

Sid and Coke

My wife has a German friend and she was well happy when they opened a Lidl in my nearest town. Quite a lot of the stock they sell are very well reknowned and respected brands back there. I used to love the food in German supermarkets when i lived there a few years ago, even the baby food had flavour !

Sid and Coke, Mar 20, 2004
  9. auric

michaelab desafinado

When in London I shop almost exclusively at Sainsbury's.

In Lisbon I shop at the local corner shop or the slightly further away chain supermarket "Pingo Doce" which is equivalent to a Sainsbury's or Tescos but pretty expensive. Sometimes use the car to go to the "El Corte Ingles" supermarket which is a Waitrose/M&S equivalent (it's part of a department store) and by some margin the best supermarket in Lisbon...and not expensive either.

There are quite a few Lidl shops in Portugal, and we sometimes go the one near us precisely because, as Sid & Coke mentioned, they have a lot of stuff which isn't available anywhere else. Things like smoked salmon is much cheaper there and they have excellent yoghurts in large pots (elsewhere in Portugal yoghurt is for some inexplicable reason only sold in those tiny one portion pots).

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 20, 2004
  10. auric

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My parents mainly shop at Safeway and Tesco. I tend to shop at Greggs:D

amazingtrade, Mar 20, 2004
  11. auric

auric FOSS

Yum Yum. . .Netto, Aldi or Lidl?

A few months ago on CH4 I saw an intresting prog about food and the perceptions associated with food from the precieved lower strata of supermarkets. If I remember correctly Wayne Hemingway (founder Read or Dead) in conjunction with a mate of his who runs a top foodie eating place in London were challanged to do a 4 course meal for a table of foodies from the cream of the chattering class. This meal was to be sourced in total from Lidl? and the food must be from tins, boil in the bag, add water to taste or microwave portions - nothing fresh, organic or indeed unprocessed.

The results were to be expected, the foodies could not tell if the salmon was wild, organic, caught on rod or line from the cleanest waters off the Isle of Skye or 'waved from an own brand meal for one range. The foodies did no better with the following courses. . . . .

It looks like in this case the tasting of the food was coloured by the name of the cook - you should trust your taste buds not your preconcieved preceptions of where the cook would gather the ingrediants of the meal.

Auric:p

auric, Mar 20, 2004
  12. auric

michaelab desafinado

Re: Yum Yum. . .Netto, Aldi or Lidl?

Methinks that a parallel could be drawn to certain hifi topics currently the subject of heated debate :D

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 20, 2004
  13. auric

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Re: Yum Yum. . .Netto, Aldi or Lidl?

I watched that too. Was funny hearing them saying how the salMOn simply melted in their MOuth and was so great! :rolleyes:

MO!, Mar 20, 2004
  14. auric

Hex Spurt

I shoplift at all the best stores ;)

Hex Spurt, Mar 21, 2004
  15. auric

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

So Joseph and Agnes and Wayne and Leanne (surely these latter have a Nova with a window sticker?) are pikey then?

Hmm.... My 2nd middle name is Joeseph (spelt wrong on purpose) and I have shopped at Lidl myself :) (and I got 65% on the online pikey test - he he). Normally Sainsburys or Tescos - I won't shop for food in M&S on general principle (too damned expensive for what it is - though their sarnies are nice :)).

Lidl cheap Grolsch ripoff beer (can't remember the name) is actually really nice, as is their weird named bolognaise sauce :)

domfjbrown, Mar 22, 2004
Ask a Question