Shock this morning

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by T-bone Sanchez, Apr 15, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Woke up, made my way down stairs **SHOCK** **HORROR** f'in ants everywhere, thousands in my lounge (in perfect lines which is quite amazing really) the little b'stards, I spent bout 20 mins killing them by the 1000. The only thing I can find is a little left-over fanta in a glass. Ive got an appointment at 10.30 then thats it Im finishing and its blitz time, I'll rebuild the bloody house if I have too. :gatling:

Good morning to all your buddhist.

T-bone Sanchez, Apr 15, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

Graham C

If you kill them, their buddies will know..

Graham C, Apr 15, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I had a plague like that last year. Except mine was wasps. Went into the listening room... hundreds of the bastards...

I-S, Apr 15, 2005
  4. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

I'll kill their buddies too, I'll kill the lot. Ive been having a flick round on the net and Ive discovered its illegal to kill them in Germany and scientist have discovering they are evolving at a very fast rate. Ive just glanced at an article from Australia that I'll come back too stating that a colony of ants could have the same brain power as a human, lets just hope that human is a professional footballer.

5. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

6. T-bone Sanchez

Sid and Coke

One of my worst 'insect bite' incidents was involved with ants. There seemed to be three different varieties at the place i was living, really tiny miniscule ants ( the smallest I'd ever seen) , medium sized ( nasty agressive bastards), and huge big mutha ants (seemed to be non aggressive). Basically i kept getting woken up in the middle of the night, with an intense pain just like a wasp or bee sting ( i've had several of both ). Only to find a single medium sized ant in my bed !

I then set about insecticiding my entire room using a spray and a crawling insect spray called Piff-Paff , it is normally brilliant stuff. I also practically hermetically sealed my bedroom, spending almost an entire day filling in every single hole and crevice with silicon sealant - except for one !

A few days later i was sitting on my bed and an ant appeared from nowhere ! I looked up and found that there was a tiny ant sized hole in the ceiling right above my head. Silicon gun at the ready I sealed up any holes in the ceiling and the problem wen't away.

I also took the trouble to terrorise the ant that I'd managed to catch. Their defence and attack method was really nasty chemical warfare. I used a pencil to piss it off and basically first of all they used their jaws to bite the pencil, then whilst still gnashing away, they bent their bodies and sprayed a liquid into the bite ! I've since found out that this liquid is an acid which is why it caused me so much pain.

Horrible,horrible little creatures, when they attack you, but brilliant to watch on the discovery channel :)

Sid and Coke, Apr 15, 2005
  7. T-bone Sanchez

mr cat Member of the month

I had some chickens roaming around outside my front door the other day... ;)

mr cat, Apr 15, 2005
  8. T-bone Sanchez

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Don't panic.

Get some honey and little slips of paper.

Take the honey and put a splodge outside. Then use the paper as a boat to ferry some of the ants to the honey.

You don't have to ferry all of them. :D After a while, the ants will return from eating the honey to their colony where they will 'tell' the others about their new find. Quite soon this will over-rule the inside-the-house find.

Make sure you put the honey on the colony side of the house. Otherwise you'll get a progression of ants through the house between the colony and the honey. However, if they're in perfect lines it's because they are following scent trails that have been laid down by the ants that went before. The trails will go to and from the house to the food source. If you can work out which ants are going towards the food, then you'll know which ones to ferry to the honey.

This is based on Richard Feynman's autobiography. Feynman was a brilliant physicist with tremendous curiosity. As a child he spent hours playing with and studying ants.

7_V, Apr 15, 2005
  9. T-bone Sanchez

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

anyone read Orson Scott Card's Xenocide?

just all this talk about clever ants with a hive mind..

I had problems with ants too. To be honest, once they find where your kitchen is.. they will keep coming, and coming, and coming - forever!!.

Best solution is to find the nest and pour boiling water down it... several times. I did that several times and its almost solved it. They are beginning to come back again now, some 4 years later.

bottleneck, Apr 15, 2005
  10. T-bone Sanchez

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Boiling water and a poison that they'll take to the nest is what you need. Kill the queen or you'll never get rid of them.

Bob

Bob McC, Apr 15, 2005
Ask a Question