Shocking violence at a gig

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Nov 14, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The sad thing is I used to go in that pub quite a lot, about 3 months ago we stopped going in there because it was just full of ousiders causing trouble. It had become the roughest pub in the whole of Chorlton. It is a wetherspoons and is the cheapest pub for miles around that dosn't have security guards. I have always thought that there may be serious trouble in there. Its a stark contract in many of the bars which are more expensive and never have any trouble.

The people arrested live in Moss Side, Old Trafford and Baugely so none of them were locals. I am not sure where the hooligan who was shot lived though.

It just really annoys me that these hooligans come in and reuin it for everybody else. The policeman I spoke to on the night did at least say it was outsiders who came in to cause trouble. Didsbury has long suffered from this but it seems as soon as an area gets a few bars it goes down hill even if house prices go up.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2004
    amazingtrade, Nov 15, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

Chris your post also remeinded of the bouncer problem now facing the UK. A new law means that to be a bouncer you now need a licence and have to have very strict crinimal record checks. Hardly anybody has applied for these licences and out of those who have only 1/5 bouncers have been granted a licence.

3. amazingtrade

It turns out the person who was shot is from Cheadle and he is a well known football hooligan. So out of all the people involved in the incident none of them were local.

The pub is still closed off so I should hope Wetherspoons have learn't their lesson, they must have known it was getting rough and attracting trouble makers on the outside as its the cheapest pub for miles around and has no security at all.

4. amazingtrade

johnhunt recidivist

gigs , fighting , beer.

so what

johnhunt, Nov 15, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

stickman

Isaac,

a bit further West, Horwich. Still deepest, darkest Lancashire. Where the locals are friendly and house prices aren't quite astronomical.

stickman, Nov 15, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

stickman

The fighting part is unpleasant.

stickman, Nov 15, 2004
  7. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

The beer's often worse.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 15, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

Ed Needham

Ed Needham, Nov 16, 2004
  9. amazingtrade

stickman

The joys of having Adswood as a next door neighbour.

stickman, Nov 16, 2004
  10. amazingtrade

Hehe my mum said he would be from Adswood. I can't exactly imagine a football hooligan living on Broadway unless they are very rich. He has possibly been bared from all the bars in Cheadle and Didsbury. I still don't know what he was doing in Chorlton.

My mums freind was in the pub at the time and there was a group of people chanting what sounded like "he's going to get cought" she had since realised this was probably "he's going to get shot". A few seconds later the gun went off.

I am just amazed the pub allowed this to carry on because it was ovbious to me this would happen sooner or later because of all the ruffians that pub had started to attract.

amazingtrade, Nov 16, 2004
  11. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

There appears to be a misunderstanding here that football hooliganism is the preserve of the underclass. I remember a recent case where a notorious football yobbo leader vwas found to be a City trader. Looking at how much football clubs charge for admission these days I suppose that was inevitable.

Bob

Bob McC, Nov 16, 2004
  12. amazingtrade

That is a good point but most hooligans probably are from the poorer clases simply because they don't have much else to do. If you have a good job you probably won't have time to round looking for fights in the weekend and its likely that you won't be able to keep a job anyway with that attitude.

The hooligan who was shot runs his own business which the MEN claim sells football hooligan package holidays to people going to matches to cause trouble.

amazingtrade, Nov 16, 2004
  13. amazingtrade

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Flying fists, crashing tables, smashed pints, a shower of peanuts, a rush and a push, stomping feet, a barrage of shouts and screams, the music stops, the lights go on, it's all bloodied noses and stinging knuckles. I'm getting all nostalgic for our school discos.

My name is Ron, Nov 16, 2004
  14. amazingtrade

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I agree that due to citizens breaking the law but I fully agree with Dick Bowman about the attitude of the police at times. One downside is that people break the law because they can & think they can get away with it. Also there are far amounts of anti social behaviour. Don't get me wrong, the police have a hard job but it should be done better. Too many time their standards are not high enough.

This seems to be a problem in a number of cases. I have seen many punch ups over the years as a punter and as a DJ. People both male & female, old & young, underclass or upperclass no one is left out. They can start from the most trival of reasons. Fights are part and parcel of pub & club life. This is something that has always happened.

Here in Sheffield, bouncers need to have a licence to work. They have a criminal record check and register with the council. This is something that is not compulsory but alot of cities have this in place. Police are doing checks on door staff. I would have thought they would have this in Manchester. All doormen & women should have visable id and training. This training should include crowd control & basic first aid. A law will come in sometime and this should help more. If only 1 in 5 bouncers in Manchester have a licence then you got to ask what the police & council are doing about it?

There are rich hooligans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/programmes/2002/hooligans/gallery/annis_abraham.stm

I think you will find that football hooligans come from all walks of life. There are not all the under class of this country. I have meet a few hooligans in my time and a number are not your stereotype hooligan.

Football hooligans do a wide range of jobs & live in a wide range of places.

http://www.sundayherald.com/print42034

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/section-item.asp?sid=45&iid=822

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 16, 2004
  15. amazingtrade

Still no response from the email I sent on Sunday complaining. I have since also seen a few sources online which state the violence at that gig and how the security made it worse. I am quite angry they have not replied.

Who is responsable for security at these places is it the venue or the promotion company? I am wound up now, it may be because I have been working for 12 hours and tired but I think my next letter of complaint will be forwarded to the licencing office at the council.

amazingtrade, Nov 21, 2004
Ask a Question