Should I be worried...?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Will, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Will

Will The Lucky One

....at how warm my amplifier is running today?

I have left it on, but doing nothing, today, by accident, but when I noticed the outside casing is pretty much too hot to touch. I dread to think how warm the insides are getting really, given that the casing is just that, a case, and isn't specifically designed to help cool the thing in the obvious fashion of amps such as the NAD S300 and some of Rotels offerings which have heatsinking on the outsides.

I tried to measure the case temperature but the one thermometer I have doesn't allow me to actually touch the base to the object, and the other is one intended for health use and tops out at ~42 degrees celsius.

The amplifier in question is a Marantz PM7000, now I have read reviews stating that this amp does not run much above room temperature, but mine has always seemed to run what I can only describe as 'damned hot', especially since its not even a class A amp so shouldn't in theory be that hot. The amp doesn't have anything on top or around it either :newbie:

Anyone else finding their kit getting very warm indeed this past few days?

I may just be worrying, it may be normal for amps to get this warm, I don't really know, but for it to be uncomfortable just to keep my hands on it for a few seconds is somewhat unsettling, and its out of warranty in the next 2 months as well.

Will, Jun 8, 2004
  2. Will

Saab

oh yes,i could feel the heat coming from my amp

only problem was I was still on the way back from the Spar

Saab, Jun 8, 2004
  3. Will

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Sounds odd for a class B amp to get so hot idling. The PM7000 has huge heatsinks inside that big case. It should not get hot.
    [​IMG]

technobear, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Will

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

It does depend on how airflow is in the room. In my old room the S300 sat in a dead spot, and would get really pretty damn hot (with nothing on top or above it). In my new place, it doesn't get anything like as hot.

I-S, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Will

penance Arrogant Cock

Isaac
    thats because you now reside in the Tundra my dear chap;)

penance, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Will

Could be it... :(

I-S, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Will

Will The Lucky One

Gonna give marantz a phone call I think, its still under warranty so it can't hurt to ask if they'll take a look at it, or at least tell me 'no sir, they all do that'.

I was thinking the same as you technobear, class B amp in a big case doing nothing should theoretically be cool, should it not :confused:

As for airflow, well its sort of underneath a bay window, which has been open, but then again this time of year it does get up to 30 degrees or so in here even with the windows and door open (the sun shines through the windows, though not onto the amp as I close the curtains :D) so the ambient temp is warm...

Will, Jun 8, 2004
  8. Will

If the amp is CE marked then the casework should not reach over 75C on any part you can touch.

I-S, Jun 8, 2004
  9. Will

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If you can still touch it a short while without being burnt it's under 55C IIRC. My Linn 2250s run rather hot when above each other in the rack. You may find in your case if you look in the manual that they specify a minimum shelf spacing above (like linn do) and you might not have complied.

SteveC, Jun 8, 2004
  10. Will

michaelab desafinado

My DAC64 gets almost too hot to touch, esp. in the summer but apparently thats normal. My amp on the otherhand is not even luke warm...there's PWM technology for you ;)

It's over 30C during the day here already and summer has hardly started. Once it gets to August I can look forward to 45C here in Lisbon :MILD:

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 9, 2004
  11. Will

technobear Ursine Audiophile

:eek:

You're welcome to it. I'm already too hot at 25C :p

technobear, Jun 9, 2004
  12. Will

Will The Lucky One

I am more than observing the recommended shelf spacing, since theres nothing above it, or to either side, and the back is actually quite exposed too rather than pressing it up against a wall :)

Will, Jun 9, 2004
Ask a Question