Should I buy Hyperion HPS-938s?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by gjm, Feb 21, 2007.

1. gjm

gjm

I listened to these on two occasions, powered by both valve and solid state amps, and I like them. Very much. Bit pricey, but I've almost talked myself around that...

I've just one concern. The room that they'll be used in. The auditions I've had have been in larger rooms than the one I'd use the speakers in - our living room is about 16'x12'. I'm concerned that the bass will be be overbearing.

I've read (dangerous things, reviews!) that the Hyperions are quite sensitive to positioning and proximity to walls. There is room on the 12' wall to position the speakers far enough away from the sides to get around this, but I may then end up with the speakers too close together.

Any thoughts? Has anyone had similar problems and resolved them? Presumably this isn't an issue restricted to these speakers. A home audition would be perfect, but not very easy to arrange given the weight of these beasties!

If the HPS-928s are going to be hopelessly unsuitable, what alternatives do I have?

Our amp is a Gryphon Callisto, sources are an AVI S2000MC Reference CD player and a Kuzma Stabi/Stogi Reference turntable/arm combo. We'll be doing something AV with the TV and DVD in due course, but we've not decided what yet!

TIA,
    Graham

gjm, Feb 21, 2007
  2. gjm

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Graham

I'm not sure anyone can answer this one for you.

I like the Hyperions too, but have no idea how they'd sound in your room or with your kit.

Perhaps you could get some on sale or return?

bottleneck, Feb 21, 2007
  3. gjm

gjm

Thanks for the reply... I understand what you're saying.

Maybe my question would have been better phrased as "Does anyone have any insight regarding use of these speakers in what may be a smaller than ideal room?" I had a quick look last night and most reviews seem to have been carried out in 25'x15', or larger, rooms. There's nearly enough room to play tennis in there!

Maybe I should just move house? That'd solve the problem... :)

I'm going to try to arrange a dem at home. At 40kg per speaker this might be interesting! I'll also contact Hyperion to see what they have to say.

Thanks again,
    Graham

gjm, Feb 21, 2007
  4. gjm

Tenson Moderator

Sounds of Music have a pair of HPS-938 for £2875.00.

They should be alright in terms of treble and wall reflections as they are quite directive, but as for bass I couldn't really say. You mighty consider some bass traps or digital room correction though. The room correction being the quick and easy solution but not as suitable for the analogue source.

Have a look at my website for some info on these things.

Tenson, Feb 21, 2007
  5. gjm

gjm

I spoke to Matthew at Real Hifi and he suggested that they could almost be put against a wall as they have no rear-firing port. That remains to be proven...

As an alternative for 'smaller' rooms I've been recommended the Hyperion 733s. They'll be new to UK shores, but someone has to be first!

Tenson - thanks for the info. I'll have a look at your 'site as soon as I have more than 30 seconds to spare.

Thanks,
    Graham

gjm, Feb 21, 2007
Ask a Question