Should I ditch Cd's?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Evertonian, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Evertonian

Evertonian

Fed up with CD play back. Sick of the clinical nature and lack of warmth from my Camgridge Audio 640C. Can anyone think of a machine that will resolve the problem thought about the Primare CD 21?
    Thinking about going back to vinyl and getting a multi disc player for DVD and CD any thought on a candidate for this?
    Best wishes
    Paul

Evertonian, Feb 17, 2009
  2. Evertonian

dreftar

I have thought the same myself then I got hold of a Paradisea DAC that was modded and the difference that it made to the sound from my modest Marantz CD63SE was incredible. It was the best upgrade that I have even done!

Check out your CD player with some other DACs, you might be surprised!

dreftar, Feb 17, 2009
  3. Evertonian

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Lector seem to have a good vibe, not heard one myself.

The NAD multi format thats up for sale elsewhere on here seems a good deal, I think the warmer sounding players just do CD's though.

Weald Audio sell the Modwright CD players on Ebay. If you enter this listing number in the search box it should pull up the listing. Not the prettiest, but very well thought of.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
    SMEagol, Feb 17, 2009
  4. Evertonian

dudywoxer Regaholic

If you have a Rega dealer handy try and have a listen to the apollo, it may be what you are looking for. It still has the typical clean CD sound, in comparison to Vinyl, but it just may do enough to balance out the good and bad in favour of the good.

dudywoxer, Feb 17, 2009
  5. Evertonian

Evertonian

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the good ideas everyone I will check this out
    Paul

Evertonian, Feb 17, 2009
  6. Evertonian

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

I would second Rega, but more importantly - speakers with the right balance. I would consider some Jean-Marie Reynaud speakers - it would be anything but clinical and lacking warmth. There is a pair on hififorsale at the moment (not mine :) )

Nomoretweaks, Feb 17, 2009
  7. Evertonian

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

You won't regret it.
    It may however, be the beginning of the dreadful (money) wasting disease "upgrade-itis".
    I have a terminal case.
    Turntable/Arm/Cartridge/Phono Stage upgrades are the most lethal side effects of this disease.

Pure_Carbon, Feb 17, 2009
  8. Evertonian

Smithy

I find the recording quality of the music i want to hear on Vinyl a bit variable some of the 80s stuff Scorpions ,UFO ,Michael Schenker etc sounds a bit dire.Recent 12inch 45s on the other hand a different kettle of fish,,concentrate on a decent CD player.

(AA5 as transport ,Audiosmile DCX ,MC2650 into big Focal Kits)

Smithy, Feb 17, 2009
  9. Evertonian

FrankDeckard

The Rega CD players are very good. Not the last word if you want to hear a lot of detail, but certainly one of the more musical sounding players out there and they do last. I have an original Planet that I use in my HT room and it still sounds great.

FrankDeckard, Feb 18, 2009
  10. Evertonian

Haselsh1 Shaun H

I honestly think that you should not ditch CD. Every medium has its place and I don't think you should burn all of your bridges on this one.

Haselsh1, Feb 18, 2009
  11. Evertonian

chevvies

On the contrary, if you consider cds themselves, better sounding earlier pressings tend to sound more natural because they were less processed than recent remasters, and were mostly flat transfers without modern day 'in your face' compression and eq. Nowadays you can pick such examples up really cheap if you look around.

I use vinyl and an SB3 with an external dac too, but cds are still a excellent medium, and my favourite.

For playback, have a look at at a well cared for older Meridian cdp for example, all of these factors will go a long way to alleviate your feelings, which were mine too, I can provide you with links to all of this stuff should you require it.

(I probably need to look at your profile to see the rest of the equipment you are using.)

chevvies, Feb 18, 2009
Ask a Question