should I get tweeters?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lienly, Jul 17, 2005.

1. lienly

lienly

folks.
    do you think by adding tweeters can really boost audio performance? from my understand, in theory, that human ears can hear 20~20kHz. usually tweeter delivers >20kHz, some even jumps to 100kHz! but if ears can't really hear >20kHz freq, what's the point to add useless tweeters?

if you guys think tweeters can really upgrade my HT, which brand/model do you recommend? my budget is <US$1000. tks pals. candidates: Tannoy ST100/200, Murata ES105.

my current gears are:
    main: Tannoy Stirling (may get Westlake BBSM soon).
    center/side surr: Mirage OmniSat
    rear surr: Celestion DL6 (replaced by Stirling if got Westlake).
    powered sub: SVS PB12-ISD2
    amp: Onkyo NR900

louis

lienly, Jul 17, 2005
  2. lienly

Philip King Enlightened User

try searching the review section for WMs informative review of "super tweaters" for one point of view

Philip King, Jul 17, 2005
  3. lienly

MartinC Trainee tea boy

See this thread:

http://zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4645&page=1&pp=15

Admittedly your Tannoys are one of relative few speakers available that don't have in-built dedicated tweeters, but so you know the right terminology what you are really asking is should you buy "supertweeters" (meaning ones that cover a frequency range from something like a bit under 20kHz to something significantly higher, say 80 or 100kHz).

MartinC, Jul 18, 2005
  4. lienly

Mr_Sukebe

I've heard the effects of WM's super tweeters.
    The change was not quite what I expected, though it was positive.
    Frankly I couldn't hear any apparent change in frequency response, but what I did get was much better placement of instruments within the mix. Please don't ask me to explain why or how, all I know is what I heard.
    Whether I'd be willing to spend £800 (new) to achieve that, I'm not sure. Personally I'd rather spend money on the friend end first. However, if you already have a really hot front end, I'd happily recommend them.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 18, 2005
  5. lienly

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

they are dual concentric and have a tweeter! (the modern repro's claim 25khz!)

Louis, I've spent (make that wasted! hehe) some time reading the on-line manuals on various supertweeters.

The Tannoy ST series have instructions on where to position their supertweeters to work best with their vintage models, and actually show you where best to position them on vintage tannoys, and what settings to put them on.

I've heard good things about the Mu-rata ones aswell, they look brilliantly made. For VFM I found that Fostex were good.

If you have the budget I'd go with the Tannoys, with the thinking that keeping it in-house is good, especially when you've got instructions on how to get them to work well together.. I especially liked the way you can set the crossover point with them just where its right for a horn loaded tweeter.

Its almost a shame in some ways to use a ST with a dual concentric tannoy, especially after all the effort they've gone to in order to make a point source.

You might find of course that the westlakes don't need it, but I guess you could always sell them on in the future. Which BBSM is it by the way? They are some very serious speakers!

I guess what I'm trying to say is if I were you and I was about to change my speakers I wouldnt buy them just yet.

bottleneck, Jul 18, 2005
  6. lienly

MartinC Trainee tea boy

That's a good point. That said Tannoy's Dimension series of speakers combine a dual concentric driver with a supertweeter, so presumably Tannoy think it works?

The only with/without supertweeter test I've heard was in WM's system, where they did seem to bring a noticeable improvement. This was in a stereo setup though, I'm not so sure of the merits in an AV system.

MartinC, Jul 18, 2005
  7. lienly

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I used one on the centre channel also to great effect

wadia-miester, Jul 18, 2005
  8. lienly

lienly

tks, bottleneck and other guys' comments.

well, I finally bought muRata ES105.
    it does give sound but really extremely quiet!!! :confused: ear has to touch it to hear sound! so mom says I waste $ for something has no sound! :( thus I ain't sure if ST can really boost audio performance?

I also compare 105 with Tannoy ST50 and Elac 4 pi+2. both give louder sound. :)

my WL BBSM is #8. it replaced Stirling as main sp.
    Stirling takes over DL6 as surr back.

main: Westlake BBSM8 + muRata ES105
    centre/surr side: Mirage OmniSat
    surr back: Tannoy Stirling
    sub: SVS PB12-ISD2
    amp: Onkyo NR900
    DAB: Pure 702

lienly, Mar 4, 2006
  9. lienly

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

thats an interesting setup you've got there.

have you got any nice pictures?

cheers
    chris

bottleneck, Mar 4, 2006
  10. lienly

MartinC Trainee tea boy

That is not entirely surprising given it's stated frequency range (15kHz to 100 kHz). Rather than trying to hear it in isolation, does having it switched on change the overall sound of the system at your normal listening position?

MartinC, Mar 4, 2006
Ask a Question