Should I sell or keep my Mk1 Rega Planet (I can't decide!)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by domfjbrown, Oct 5, 2004.

1. domfjbrown

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Since I've now upgraded to a Naim CD5, and my housemate (Ilockyer) needed a better CDP, I lent him my Rega Planet Mk1 when we moved.

Only problem is it needed to be fixed - something had "gone off" in transit. So off it goes to Audio-eXcellence and something got miscommunicated. I wanted a quote from Rega, and they fixed it without giving me said quote. Nice £100 bill (which I can't really afford, but I've paid).

So - I don't need it, but I'd rather keep it. However - since it's "just been serviced" and is thus fully valeted etc as well as tested, do you think I can get £200 for it on EBay? And would you sell it if you were me?

I love the styling of it and it IS a good CDP; I'm using a Pioneer PDR609 upstairs, but am willing for Ilockyer to borrow it for the time being, but can I justify keeping it? Been mulling this over for a while now...

Help me decide :)

domfjbrown, Oct 5, 2004
  2. domfjbrown

andrew1810

Bearing in mind this broken one went for £120:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3840891352&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
    I don't see £200 as unreasonable and it is a great cdp, I would buy one myself but:
    a) No money
    b) Not sure how much better it would be than my marantz

If you aren't using it, it will just keep losing value until you eventually sell it (unless you keep it for 30 years and it will be a classic)

You will sell it eventually, might as well make the most of a recent service (and warranty?)

andrew1810, Oct 5, 2004
  3. domfjbrown

voodoo OdD

Dom, if you're not sure about selling it, why not just dump an advert on some forums and let it sell itself ?

If you don't need the money right now you can keep it, Ilockyer can use it (if he's nice to you :D ) and [Hi_FiSnobberyMode] you'll probably sell it to somebody that is looking for one [/Hi_FiSnobberyMode].

voodoo, Oct 5, 2004
  4. domfjbrown

juboy

I had a similar situation - I ended up with a surplus to requirements MK1 Planet but it's in perfect condition, still with original box, manuals etc and appears to only be worth £175 to £200.

I decided I'd rather just hang on to it and use it in a kitchen based system than let it go for that. I still feel it's one of the best <£500 CDPs I've ever heard.

juboy, Oct 5, 2004
  5. domfjbrown

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

This is the thing; I'm skint, but can wangle an OD for a couple of months, and for £200 it's got more than that in sentimental value IMHO... Might ask around and see what's what though...

domfjbrown, Oct 5, 2004
Ask a Question