Show us your slimservers!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Jan 11, 2008.

1. I-S

shrink

and solid state storage has the potential for greater reliability... no spinning parts to wear out, no motors to die. Longevity would definitely be a plus of solid state.

shrink, Jan 14, 2008
  2. I-S

demandcurve

I don't speak computer very well so please excuse my English.

I am undecided what to buy. In my living room the HiFi side has a Bel Canto DAC with spare input. In a room upstairs sits the computer stuff, a pretty little NAS Synology DS207 with two big Seagate discs in RAID 1 wired to a Linksys "SRX" wireless router.

I am wavering on what kit to complete the system, a ubiquitous Squeezebox or the not-here-yet Linksys DMA2200, or what?

I like the idea that the Linksys is running draft 802.11n (note - will need new router). And without the computer in the hifi room a TV interface for music selection sounds useful, although the new LCD handset of the SB4 may prove sufficient. But SB4 is just 802.11g. And the Linksys offers DVD upscaling to 1080i, whatever that is it sounds a bonus over my old Toshiba SD330.

Ho, hum, too much to choose between!

Tony

PS curious to know what is the issue with 32inch LCD TVs? Not that I have one. Stereo Mic, anyone?

demandcurve, Jan 15, 2008
  3. I-S

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Are you aware that there is a version of slimserver put together by a third party specially to install on a Synology so that you don't need another computer running? It is called "SSODS" "slimserver on diskstation" by flipflip, if you want to google it. You could then select what to play with a normal SB3 and remote, connected to your DAC if you like. The new controller, when it becomes available, simpy will put your control visual interface on the remote instead of (as well as) the SB3 or other slim device.

SteveC, Jan 15, 2008
  4. I-S

demandcurve

Thanks for the pointer Steve. Installing third party applications on my storage server is way outside my comfort zone. The NAS was bought primarily to store & safeguard the family's photos and isn't something I feel qualified to mess with.

Great suggestion though, if only I was more confident in my techie abilities. I need an solution that works straight out of the box without impinging on the NAS. Perhaps I am expecting too much?

Tony

demandcurve, Jan 15, 2008
  5. I-S

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

It was way outside mine, too: it took me a couple of months to screw up the courage :) I do the same with family photos. But in the end I was sorry I delayed because it is a well sorted package with the guy giving regular contact on a slim forum if necessary. I understand very well if you want to leave well alone.

SteveC, Jan 15, 2008
  6. I-S

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

sq225917, Jan 15, 2008
Ask a Question