sibilance

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nak, Aug 22, 2007.

1. nak

nak

Hi,

I haven't logged on for 3 years due to moving house, not having an internet connection, bone idleness etc, but i need some advice so i thought i'd see if you can help.

I have a Rega P3 which i notice a loss of focus and increased sibilance on voices. Any ideas on causes and cures?

I've just phoned the dealer that supplied it and he suggested taking it down to have the stylus cleaned and checked over. After telling him that I have used the Knosti cleaning device on my records he said he could clean a few records free of charge using a Keith Monks machine to see if it improves things. If it works he would show me how to use it and let me clean as many as i like for a small charge.

What do you think?

nak, Aug 22, 2007
  2. nak

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

MM cartridge? That can be the cause, my old rega exact used to highlight the SSSSSS.

sq225917, Aug 22, 2007
  3. nak

nak

The cartridge is a Rega Elys.
    Any recommendations for a replacement then?

nak, Aug 22, 2007
  4. nak

peez

all of the above are possibilities, as well as the bearing fluid may need replacing , should take minutes when you take the deck down, also sibilance - i am no expert in this area but could any it of be mains induced as you say you have moved? its a process of logical elimination.

peez, Aug 22, 2007
  5. nak

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

nah tis the cart, all the regas are hissy

how much do you wnat to spend. and what is you phonostage.

sq225917, Aug 22, 2007
  6. nak

RobHolt Moderator

Not Rega's best effort.
    Tracking is barely adequate and the rather plain elliptical tip profile suffers on the inner tracks. I bet you notice the sibilance is worse/rougher when playing the inner tracks?
    The Elys 2 is better but still not top of the class.

At a similar price to the Rega the Denon DL110 is the one to beat. It walks all over the Elys. The Audio Technica MCs are better at the £200 mark but you need something better than a P3 for them.

RobHolt, Aug 23, 2007
Ask a Question