Silverstone show, visitor reports.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Sep 26, 2009.

1. bottleneck

robM

Welcome Noel

Sorry to hear that your demo went 'south'. These things happen to all of us at some point in our professional career.
    I know James quite well and I know he uses a Windfeld, I did until last week. I now use the new Ortofon A90 which is in a different ball park. I know from your mag that you are mainly tube based, are you also pro moving magnet?

robM, Oct 27, 2009
  2. bottleneck

nando nando

i agree dev, it was very poor, we found it hard to find our way round to find certain rooms, all we seeamed to find was facy cars and the bar, however i do love the location, specially those ponny's
    nando

nando, Oct 27, 2009
  3. bottleneck

hifiworld

Hi Rob

Yes, I reviewed Ortofon's Windfeld some time ago and it was very 'nice' and civilised, svelte even, with oodles of detail but still a little ho-hum perhaps. The new range is superb though and I love the Cadenzas. So must ask for A90. Lucky man! It's probably the best.

We take tube amps seriously, but they do not dominate. MM cartridges we cover too of course, with the Ortofon 2M Black a favourite with many of us.

regards
    Noel

hifiworld, Oct 29, 2009
  4. bottleneck

robM

Hi Noel

A good friend in Germany uses the Vienna, which is a German only cartridge I think and closely related to the Cadenza. Yes, the range is really nice. I had a Windfeld for about 12 months and thought it was great but then I was using it on a VPI HRX which like most things USA is a bit 'BIG and BOLD' if you know what I mean. It suited the Windfeld to a T. The Windfeld is fantastic if used properly and will reward you with many hours of sheer bliss.

I do think your rag is one of the better ones out there. At least you are consistent with your views, which is more than can be said about the others;) I have both SS and valve in my system and think it works well for me. I did try a valve phonostage but could not get over the lack of gain and high background noise, which can be apparent on low output level MCs. The valve preamp I use is nice and behave quite transparently.

robM, Oct 29, 2009
  5. bottleneck

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Noel,

A bit strange. Why would you give a cartridge 'five stars' if it is a little 'ho-hum'.

You should get hold of a MC A90 for review. Also the top of the Cadenza range, the Black. A good feature would be to compare the Jubilee and the Cadenza Black. These two cost the same and have similar features.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 29, 2009
  6. bottleneck

robM

I've often found that the 'sound' of the cartridge does in part depend on the TT/ arm it's on. The Windfeld on a SME 20/V to me sounded a bit dead but then when I put it on my VPI HRX it came alive.

SCIDB

Do you own one of these Ortofons?

robM, Oct 29, 2009
  7. bottleneck

SCIDB Moderator

Hi RobM,

I own a Jubilee. I've had a Rohmann before plus many Ortofons before that. I've had the Jubilee a few years now on my Avid Acutus and silver wired SME V. Very much enjoyed it.

I fancy treating myself to a new cartridge and am interested in the Winfield.

If they didn't rated that highly, why give it five stars. I'll have to dig out the review. I'm sure it wasn't Noel who reviewed the Winfeld in Hifi World.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 29, 2009
  8. bottleneck

hifiworld

Hi SCIDB
    It was definitely a 5 Globe cartridge and a lovely sound, but there are infinite variants at this level and it gets difficult to be adamant about "rightness". The Per Windfeld was lovely, but the Cadenzas, a new range and sound they told me at the High End Show, are even better. You have to hear them to believe it.

RobM
    Valve phono stages with an good input transformer have the same hiss level as solid-state. Try an Eastern Electric minimax or Icon Audio PS 3; the latter with its valve PSU is superb. Valves complement the sound staging on an MC. With an A90, you have to give it a try.
    best regards
    Noel

hifiworld, Oct 29, 2009
  9. bottleneck

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the reply. If the Cadernzas are much better, you need to be on phone and be aranging a comparison. It wasn't that long ago that the Winfeld was reviewed by your mag. Plus it's more expensive.

If you are not aware, getting dems of cartridges is a pain. Mags don't always note that it is not always easy to get hold of stuff.

I do hope to have a listen of the Winfeld and the Cadenza.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 29, 2009
  10. bottleneck

hifiworld

Hi SCIDB
    There's been a range change: the Per Windfeld was then, then Cadenzas are now. In this case the improvement is big. I think the Cadenzas have a beautiful sound; ask RobM about the A90 and differences to the PW. The Cadenza Bronze has walk in sound staging, which is why I use it with an Icon Audio PS3.
    best regards
    Noel

hifiworld, Oct 29, 2009
  11. bottleneck

robM

Hi Noel

I wouldn't give up my Whest MC REF V for anything ;)

robM, Oct 29, 2009
  12. bottleneck

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Noel,

So do you know if the Winfeld is know going to phased? It's not been on the market long. I look forward to hearing the Cadenza Black.

The MC A90 is limited edition, 400 pieces so I would expect a replament for that at some stage.

A rival mag, Hifi News reviewed the MC A90 so there is a review sample about. You should get hold of it.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 29, 2009
  13. bottleneck

robM

SCIDB

if you can get the A90 I would get it. It is amazing and 'worth' every penny. Your AVID/ SME is worthy of such a device.

robM, Oct 29, 2009
  14. bottleneck

titian

Then it will be my turn for the welcome drink. :beer:

If you have all 2 days more, you could might as well come down to Switzerland at my place near Lucerne. Accommodation free as well as food.

I had a dealer pass since I helped a friend exhibiting room acoustic materials and I thought the sound of some rooms were even better when having a personal demo before or after the show times. Too many places with too loud music in relation to the room acoustics.

titian, Oct 29, 2009
  15. bottleneck

nando nando

i like the cadenza black a lot, very musical and great bass speed, vocals of any dreadfull recordings, soul ,reggae, jazz, funk, clasical, etc. over all it is a great cartridge,
    nando.

nando, Nov 1, 2009
  16. bottleneck

henley

For the record..........

The Winfeld is expected to continue for quite some time - at least 2 years

The MCA90 is also expected to be on the market for a similar time - One is expected to be at HFW next week for testing

The Rohmann is now out of production and we hold the last few that were ever produced (I bought the last batch as I liked the cartridge and Erik was a dear friend - nostalgia and all that!)

Cadenza Black is now available

Cadenza Red will not be released until the end of November

I think that about sums it up

henley, Nov 2, 2009
  17. bottleneck

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The ranges can be confusing.

What's your opinion of the cadenza black v the Winfeld? Noel Keywood thinks the Cadenza range is loads better. He has only test the cheaper ones.

Do you still do cartridge exchanges?

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 2, 2009
  18. bottleneck

henley

Winfeld would be more elegant and refined and akin to the older style whereas the New series are far more rythmic with more presence.

Yes we still do the exchange scheme, 25% of the current value of your trade in off the cost of the new cartridge.

henley, Nov 2, 2009
  19. bottleneck

anon_bb Honey Badger

Congrats tenson you must be chuffed!

anon_bb, Nov 2, 2009
Ask a Question