Simon Yorke S8

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mtbguy68, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mtbguy68

anon_bb Honey Badger

Its hardly complicated is it. Each has a set of generally accepted conventions - they are exceptions to the rule of course.

Machines have limitations bub and some show up more on some genres than others.

anon_bb, Sep 6, 2008
  2. mtbguy68

The Devil IHTFP

Well, "classical", for instance, might include Tchaikovski's 1812, and a delicate string quartet. I think these examples are not very similar.

Of course turntables have limitations, but I think these will show up on any record or genre, I can't think why they wouldn't. A matter of opinion, I guess?

The Devil, Sep 6, 2008
  3. mtbguy68

anon_bb Honey Badger

On some more than others - else every turntable would sound the same ;)

anon_bb, Sep 6, 2008
  4. mtbguy68

The Devil IHTFP

That doesn't really follow, in my opinion. I was discussing genre-specific hi-fi weaknesses on Thursday evening with someone who designs hi-fi equipment for a living, and he couldn't see how it could possibly occur.

The Devil, Sep 6, 2008
  5. mtbguy68

anon_bb Honey Badger

Then you need to listen to some comparisons bub - then all will become clear. Buying on the basis of unproven arm chair theorism based on the Platonic Ideal isnt that sound ;)

Go to walrus with a selection of genres on vinyl and you wil soon see beyond any doubt that some record players favour certain genres over others. A very few play all genres to the same standard

anon_bb, Sep 6, 2008
  6. mtbguy68

The Devil IHTFP

This isn't just armchair theorising, it's also based on my experience. I have a reasonably large record collection which is very eclectic. I have heard a lot of different music on many different turntables. On no occasion have I noticed any hifi system which discriminated between genres. To suggest that "timing" is somehow more important for jazz than anything else just seems completely potty/ill informed, in my opinion.

If you wish to believe in things like god, fairies at the bottom of the garden, mains cable differences or ghosts in the machine, then that's entirely your prerogative. All these things seem completely evidence-free, AFAICT. In contrast, I am a rationalist, and I don't think we are ever going to agree on this subject, so I'll leave it here.

The Devil, Sep 6, 2008
  7. mtbguy68

anon_bb Honey Badger

You buy based on reviews, reputation and dealer recommendations followed by a quick listen without any comparison. You need to get out and put some of your theories to the test - then you will see how they fail in practice ;) No-one is suggesting hifi can discriminate music. They don't need to. No-one is suggesting that timing is more "important" for jazz - just that any weakness of a deck in that area will be more pronounced and obvious on music that is more demanding in that respect. Technical measurements can be related to subjective listening experience.

You are a rationalist when it suits you bub - but just to justify your faith. Very anglican ;)

anon_bb, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question