Single Kef Q as a center channel??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by starkiller, Sep 16, 2008.

1. starkiller

starkiller

would like some input from those in the know about using a single Kef Q speaker as a center channel. not a speaker sold "as" a center such as the model 100, but one of a pair of Q bookshelf speakers. reason is that a pair of Q bookshelves are easier to find and also cheaper then just buying a dedicated center. you can always use the other one as a backup :D

thanks!

starkiller, Sep 16, 2008
  2. starkiller

D Louth 77

Hi starkiller

secret to Av heaven ,in regard to speakers is keeping the three fronts the same(Thx spec) or at least from the same make and range. This allows the voicing of the speakers to stay the same and thus continue the suspension of belief in the sound. The rears are not as important unless you listen to dvd audio or sacd surround in which case all the speakers need to be the same.

Kef have recently changed their range(i have not heard them).The changes include the tweeter (similiar to XQ unit). This means if you have older kefs the new ones will not match. You need to use a center from the left and right fronts ,Make and Range for your setup to work seamlessly .

i learnt the hard way many years ago with Mission speakers . i thought keeping it all Mission was enough and as the center does about 70%of the work i bought a better Mission center. It didn't work the sound was unbalanced so i had to buy a cheaper center to bring things back into balance(only plus was i got to go 6.1 with the original center which was the same as other speakers. This was a big improvement in my less than symetrical room).

Hope this helps and watch out for those Shadows.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 16, 2008
  3. starkiller

icehockeyboy

You will find that using a "normal" speaker for dialogue duties in the centre, will sound better at first listen, than a dedicated "real" centre speaker, but, you will then be aware that the actual dialogue is not as clear to your ears, and possibly end up with getting the proper one after all.
    Or maybe not! ymmv.

icehockeyboy, Sep 25, 2008
Ask a Question