Siting a GyroDeck

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Apr 16, 2006.

1. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Well, I've just taken the plunge and bought a Gyro but I'm not sure what the best siting strategy is going to be. I'm currently using a P3 on Rega shelf in an alcove - and the alcove isn't optional (see pic). I'm considering either a marble slab / isoplat for the TT and mounting the rest of the gear 2 above 2 using a wall shelf or getting some sort of turntable friendly wall support and leaving the rest as is. Any Michell owners like to advise ?

Cheers

John

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2007
    johnfromnorwich, Apr 16, 2006
  2. johnfromnorwich

Effem Cable manufacturer

I'm assuming you havent actually got the deck yet, but if you have the full perspex cased Gyrodek I don't think your current shelves are going to be deep enough to accomodate it.

Not only does the perspex case extend way beyond the actual mechanism of the deck itself, when the lid opens it takes up even more room behind it as there are no supports to hold it up apart from whatever is behind like the wall to rest on. This was daft to me because it then effectively coupled the deck to the wall when playing. I had the full Gyrodek up until a couple of years ago and as I recall it was a huge shelf it had to be sited on for that reason, mounted well forward to allow the lid to open.

I have bought a Gyro SE without the perspex case over the weekend as this time I can only mount it on a rack with no wall behind it to support the lid.

Effem, Apr 17, 2006
  3. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

It's an SE that I've bought - partly for the reasons you highlight

johnfromnorwich, Apr 17, 2006
  4. johnfromnorwich

RobHolt Moderator

I used a Gyro on a Sound Organisition wall shelf for many years and it works well. The deck isn't particularly fussy. Just get a piece of MDF board cut for the Rega bracket - I don't think anything is to be gained with marble apart from stressing the bracket fixing. Make sure that the bracket is well fixed to the wall as the Gyro is a lot heavier than a P3.

RobHolt, Apr 17, 2006
  5. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

I've got a a couple of Sound Organisation supports (one with MDF and one with glass shelves - neither can be used directly, for domestic harmony reasons) and I did consider using some combination of the shelves mounted on the Rega support but I wasn't sure about coupling them. All I could think of was Blu-Tak in the 'foot cups' of the support with a shelf laid accross it. Seems a bit primitive, but I guess if it's solid, level and doesn't resonate it should be okay ? My only concern is that the foot cups aren't equidistant due to the eccentric rear foot on the P3 - and that this could reduce the stability of the shelf.

johnfromnorwich, Apr 17, 2006
  6. johnfromnorwich

Garmt

I have a Gyro SE on a Rega shelf, with a slab of maple plywood on it, attached to the shelf with blobs of Blu-Tak! That really does the trick for me. I have also tried cones, dampers etc. between the ply-wood and shelf, but not much of a difference.

Garmt, Apr 18, 2006
  7. johnfromnorwich

Garmt

Here is a picture of the mounting of my Gyro SE.

Attached Files:

• set1.JPG
      set1.JPG
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
    Garmt, Apr 22, 2006
  8. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Nice one. I'll try the same.

johnfromnorwich, Apr 23, 2006
  9. johnfromnorwich

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Looks great Garmt.

I'd invest in something to cover the cables, it would make it look even better IMO.

bottleneck, Apr 23, 2006
  10. johnfromnorwich

Garmt

I agree... :)

Garmt, Apr 26, 2006
Ask a Question