Skipping lectures

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Oct 17, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I don't want to sound like an old man here but recently this practise has started to piss me off.

I turn up for every lecture (I tend to skip somepracticals towards the end of term as I can do everything at home) but when we are actually been taught stuff I always turn up.

However some people seem to think that 16 hours worth of lectures/practicals is too much and are skipping them. This means that people like me that understand everything as I have turned up end up helping these people.

Today when one of the skipping people asked me for help with ASP, I just turned round and said ask the tutor, he did so and he said if you turned up you will know now excuse me I have people to help. So the tutor just went and helped the people that deserved it. I think that was great:)

amazingtrade, Oct 17, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

cookiemonster

I was like a bloody giant kangaroo at uni.......but i had to be, as apparently we had 30+ hours a week.

I never asked for help though :) so i ain't all that bad.

cookiemonster, Oct 17, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

Sgt Rock

IMHO you can spot those people a mile off when they get their first proper job and they need telling how to do really basic stuff, 16 hours pffft ..... I wish.

OMG I'm starting to sound like Dom :D

Sgt Rock, Oct 17, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

blaaaahhhhdy stoooooodents. get orrrrf moi taaaax billll.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 17, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I was a goody goody at uni - even though the maths quotient that Reading Cybernetics dept BLATANTLY lied to me about (there, it's in print you barstewards - thanks for crippling my degree results!) made me apathetic. I only missed about 4 lectures in my ENTIRE time there...

I even attended a practical after a bottle of vodka, 2 litres of "rocket fuel" (tasted like orange juice - only after I'd DOWNED the entire bottle did my mate tell me it was about 45% proof!) and a tin of Heineken bender the night before - yep, I was hungover, yep, I puked, and unbelievably enough, I got full marks on the practical!!! Sweet...

As for your associates, yep we had them too, and I never helped them out - if you're going to uni to job dodge you deserve to fail. I went to work (and found the maths hard, so went over to "alternative" number crunching instead in the 2nd and 3rd years simply 'cos I couldn't do the maths....

I did get to do a module on audio in the 3rd year though - the only final year cybs I got a decent grade in - how the hell I managed to woffle about why a 2 way over a 3 way speaker can be better for a given price on 2 filled sides of A4 is still beyond me :) Got to build a 100litre cab for "bass modelling of a given drive unit" as well - that was pretty cool:
    [​IMG]
    bass flat down to 12 hz and the port size (we did sealed box version too) was the exact width of the cabinet by sheer fluke - sweet!!!! Toccata in Fugue and Garbage's Stroke of luck were scary through this - nice anecoic chamber use as well...

Oh - that's my mate PD in that shot by the way - note the feeble Sony 3way I was using on my, ahem, system, then (Sony Midi CDP, Pro Walkman (dead now :(), JVC amp, Sony tape/fm/mw walkman and Casio pocket tv - should have seen my mates' faces when they came in one Saturday to Casualty at very high volume and saw - a 2inch picture!!!!

Sorry - got carried away there....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2003
    domfjbrown, Oct 17, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

what's a lecture?

MO!, Oct 17, 2003
  7. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

A dirty old man:D
    16 hours a week :eek: ,often do that in 1 day.easy day today, olny worked 14hrs straight through

themadhippy, Oct 17, 2003
  8. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

16 hours a week but then we are supposed to 10 hours a week per module including lectures, we do 6 modules a semester so thats 60 hours a week. I admit I don't spend that much but I easily do 5 hours a week for each module.

amazingtrade, Oct 18, 2003
  9. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

When I was a lad most people didn't go to lectures. Most of the real work was one-on-one weekly tutorials with a professor or lecturer, and essay writing. The rest of the week was largely devoted to trying to overthrow capitalism (mostly by drinking cheap whisky and taking amphetamines).

Ah, happy days.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 18, 2003
  10. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Your choice to use cheap whisky obviously limited your chances! As "da yoof o 2day" I blame all things wrong with the world today on you!

That's the problem with your generation ;)

MO!, Oct 18, 2003
  11. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

MO, I concede, with hindsight, that the strategy was slightly flawed. My apologies.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 18, 2003
  12. amazingtrade

Hex Spurt

Real Life 101: Corporate Management Structure.

Creative entrepreneurs (work-shy freeloaders) develop strong team building skills (to palm off work) and learn the value of appropriate delegation (duck responsibility) to deliver high quality projects on time (and take credit for the hard work of others).

What this means is they'll probably end up being your boss some time in the future. :( ;)

Hex Spurt, Oct 18, 2003
Ask a Question