Skipping TAG CDT20R T2L cd transport

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by eisenach, Sep 1, 2006.

1. eisenach

Baudrillard

Calling eisenach,

I've dug up this thread from a year ago, as my two and a half year old Tag CDT 20 transport is starting to play up :rolleyes: When playing a CD, it often starts to cut out and then you momentarily hear a clicking noise through the speakers, sometimes stopping altogether with 'Error' displayed in the window.

I thought it was just scratched or dirty discs at first but it's happening too regularly for that to be the sole cause- although might be the catalyst. I have tried using an Allsop lens cleaner CD but to no effect.

Where did you get yours repaired in the end and are you happy with the results?

(Mech is CDM12.4)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007
    Baudrillard, Sep 25, 2007
  2. eisenach

JANDL100

Yes, that's an excellent price. About 7 or 8 years ago good old Linn charged me £150 for a new laser in a Karik II. Ouch!

Out of interest, Eisenach & Baudrillard - have you compared the sound between the Tag and an Audiolab transport? I once tried the Audiolab and found it a bit bright and up-front for my tastes. Yours sounds like a more serious machine.

JANDL100, Sep 26, 2007
  3. eisenach

Baudrillard

Jerry- lets not worry about comparing tag and audiolab- that 's not what this thread's about. Cheers

The last we heard of eisenach on this topic, last year, he had got his CDT20T repaired (from English Audio) for £75 but it had started playing up again- so perhaps not such good value after all.

There was another link mentioned earlier and I think I will try them:

http://www.theaudiocellar.co.uk/

Baudrillard, Sep 26, 2007
  4. eisenach

JANDL100

Ah - sorry. I thought this was a hifi forum. Silly me.

JANDL100, Sep 26, 2007
  5. eisenach

Baudrillard

It is- and I thought this thread was about an urgent issue regarding skipping TAG CDT20R Transports.

Edit: To answer your question, I've never heard the Audiolab so cannot comment. Reportedly the Tag is heavier and more substantial but if it breaks down after a couple of years- then that's not much use! I noticed that, right from new, the lighting in the window was uneven. All in all, wish I'd never bought it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2007
  6. eisenach

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Laser

I have over the last few years sorted out laser mech problems on Micromega stage players, which use cdm12.4 mechs.
    This work fell into two catagories 1. a simple rail clean and re lube too 2. The de solder and solder in of a new mech (silver solder of course)
    We can rule out 1 as a new unt is fitted. From my experience I came accross a very similar problem where when I fit a new mech I found that it skipped on most tracks, just once but most tracks. I then took the mech out refit it and it then came up on most disc's as an Error reading its table of contents thus displaying no disc.
    I spotted on the second take out of the mech that under one of the three support legs of the sliding tray a rubber spacing washer was missing thus not making it level.
    So on replacing this washer the tray was then square and level in the case and all was well. It played perfectly.
    By the way as an extra also check that the rubber grommits suspending the laser from the tray are slid home properly and one of those isnt making the laser mech out of level.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards

Dave

DaveHiFi, Sep 26, 2007
  7. eisenach

Baudrillard

Makes me wonder if the unit has taken a knock, which could have unlevelled the mech but I don't think so. Cheers.

8. eisenach

Baudrillard

Heard back from audio cellar with bad news- sounds like the laser's going- it will cost about £125 plus carriage for a new one.

Christ. Everythings so bloody cheaply built these days- even stuff parading itself as high quality. I'm totally pissed! Two and a half years before it packs up.

9. eisenach

eisenach

It's just a year since English Audio in Hereford repaired it for me, replacing the mechanism. From what I remember, there were a couple of hicoughs in the week after I got it back, but it's been fine since then. A happy-enough result for £75.

eisenach, Sep 26, 2007
  10. eisenach

Baudrillard

Hi

Just spoke to English and they'll inspect it for £12 and then decide.

Seeing as Im in London, I'll think about it for a bit.

Bugger-should have sold it last year. The warning signs were on this very thread :D

11. eisenach

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Try this company, the last one I bought cdm12.4 mech was only 25 quid new.

DaveHiFi, Sep 26, 2007
  12. eisenach

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

DaveHiFi, Sep 26, 2007
  13. eisenach

Baudrillard

Got a CDM12.4 mech on its way- many thanks Dave.:)

Now to find someone who can fit it.......

14. eisenach

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

the 12.4 is easy to fit, my cd17 KI had one in. just don't tear the three silicone rubber supports, it's a straight swap if you bought the mech not just the laser.

sq225917, Sep 26, 2007
  15. eisenach

eisenach

Probably not in a CDT20R - unless you know what you're doing. Most CD players I've seen are pretty empty boxes inside: not the TAG. It's packed. No room to swing a cat in there!

eisenach, Sep 27, 2007
  16. eisenach

Baudrillard

Looks like I've got to find a repairer then- and offer to supply the genuine CDM12.4 (which is on its way to me).

As far as I'm aware, most repairers, including IAG themselves, can only source the Chinese clone of the CDM12.4 when doing their own repairs.

Baudrillard, Sep 27, 2007
  17. eisenach

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

mine was chinese, no difference in sound

sq225917, Sep 27, 2007
  18. eisenach

Baudrillard

I never said anything about the Phillips originals 'sounding' any better.

But a TAG repairer said that the Chinese VCD pickup Philips clones are not as good quality as the originals. He now only offers a 3-month warranty on laser replacements whereas he used to offer 12 months with the original Phillips ones.

19. eisenach

Baudrillard

I would also add that once I get the TAG repaired, I'll be selling it. Modern Phillips mechs, whether original or clones appear to be very unreliable- which reminds me, my Marantz CDR 6000 recorder, with Phillips mech I think, packed up a few years ago with skipping problems. It was only about two years old from new.

I've learned my lesson and will be looking for an older transport next time around with, I guess, a proper old glass lens laser.

20. eisenach

eisenach

eisenach, Sep 28, 2007
Ask a Question