Sliding Arm

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jimmymcfarrell, Feb 24, 2004.

1. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

I was listening to a record a few minutes ago, and I noticed there was a lot of dust on top of the lid of my deck, so I, very gently (and I mean, really gently as the record was playing), wiped the dust off with a duster. Doing this caused the arm to slide across the record from inside to outside, making a disturbing noise as it went. I touched the deck so softly, I cant understand how this could happen - I dont even know why it would happen if i hit the deck hard?!?! Any ideas.

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 24, 2004
  2. jimmymcfarrell

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My arm is quite sensitivate at the moment becuase the tracking force is not quite set right. I would imagine it has somthing do with this.

amazingtrade, Feb 24, 2004
  3. jimmymcfarrell

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Have you checked the anti-skate settings?

Chris

bottleneck, Feb 24, 2004
  4. jimmymcfarrell

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You probably created a static charge on the lid which attracted the arm, overcoming the tracking force and allowing the bias force to pull the arm across the record.

technobear, Feb 24, 2004
  5. jimmymcfarrell

The deck is virtually brand new - I set it up when I got it, so I doubt this is the problem - static sounds more likely as Ive been suffering from this.

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 24, 2004
  6. jimmymcfarrell

Mr.C

This is definitely caused by static charge - I've done this before myself. Think about it, your arm only has a couple of grams of downward force (gravity), and a healthy, sudden dose of static (electro-magnetism) will easily provide more force than your arm is providing. Gravity is many, many times weaker than electro-magnetic force, which easily explains why your arm moved.

Mr.C, Feb 24, 2004
  7. jimmymcfarrell

penance Arrogant Cock

build up of said dust on stylus means it wont sit in groove so well hence it slide very easily with the bias force;)

penance, Feb 24, 2004
  8. jimmymcfarrell

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Or of course you could be the proud owner of an LP12 - the deck that remixes your records every time you look at it wrong or dare to walk within a 3 mile radius of it....

domfjbrown, Feb 25, 2004
  9. jimmymcfarrell

It was either a second hand LP12 or a brand new P3 - and; 'nuff said really, I now own a Rega deck!
    Static is definitly causing me problems (hence my thread of a few days ago - "Vinyl Problem"), and if the needle was dusty when I wiped the case I was probably asking for trouble!
    I'm just gonna have to keep using the "damp towel sandwich record method" (I like that, its got a ring to it) for the next god knows how many years, 'til I can afford a record cleaning machine!

Cheers.

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 25, 2004
  10. jimmymcfarrell

He he he - so it isn't just me who's not a big fan of the LP12 versus a Rega then? (My Planar3 saw off the guy's top flight fully spec'd Linn LP12 when he dem'd it to me - well, it saw the Linn off in the areas that matter!)

Why not put a small saucer of water near the hifi? Static can be caused by too-dry an environment.

Hint - £45 will get you a Knosti Disco Antistat. Another £20ish will get you 100 poly-lined inner sleeves.

Static's been much less of an issue for me since I got those. I buy a LOT of second hand vinyl too ;)

domfjbrown, Feb 25, 2004
  11. jimmymcfarrell

I just heard a lot of bad stories about s/h Linns, couldn't be bothered with a sprung chassis, and as they've often got the same arm, a brand new P3 from Audio Excellence in Exeter made more sense. I'll certainly be going back to Audio Excellence again, most helpful hifi shop Ive been in.

12. jimmymcfarrell

jtc

LP12 versus P3

And in the case of your fully spec'd LP12 versus Planar3 demo, methinks that £45 should be put towards a consultation with the ear doctor

:p

Did a demo of LP12/Aro/Lingo versus P9. LP12 walked it. I went in desperately wanting to love the P9 but found that it was somewhat lacking. Ended up with a Clearaudio Evolution, which was better than both. Have gone back to an LP12/Aro/Armageddon which I now prefer to the Clearaudio. But I digress...

jtc

jtc, Feb 25, 2004
  13. jimmymcfarrell

It depends on the rest of your system, what sort of music you listen to, and personal taste. With a really good analytical system I'm sure there are differences...but when a second hand (and in a lot of cases totally knackered) LP12 (I looked at a lot of rough ones) is the same price as a new P3, IMHO I made the right choice getting the Rega.

14. jimmymcfarrell

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

LP12s are great, get over it :MILD:

garyi, Feb 25, 2004
  15. jimmymcfarrell

We could post endless replies about the relative benefits / problems of each deck: at the end of the day, I bought a P3 and am happy with it...so end of story I think!

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 26, 2004
  16. jimmymcfarrell

Just make sure they put yours in the box the RIGHT WAY UP after they've serviced it and changed a cartridge... Good job I checked that. Other than that, yeah, they're a nice bunch in there.

Mind you, I'd have thought, being a Plymouth dude, you'd have checked out Peter Russel's Hifi Attic (can't remember the names of the streets now, but it's in the block opposite Smiths as you head down towards Co-op. I lived in Plymouth from 77-99 (well, my folks did anyway!).

JTC - the Linn had deeper bass and better highs, but was fekking AWFUL on anything other than perfect vinyl, and that bouncy chassis - do me a favour. This was at a private seller's house - fully decked out (and PRESUMABLY properly set up!!) - the Rega was 13 years old (I believe) when I got it, and it still did things better TO MY EARS than the Linn. Less wow and flutter as well! Like I say, I've heard ONE LP12 I could live with. I've heard a few Regas... I just don't "get" the LP12 I'm afraid...

Garyi - that said - is that invitation still open for coming to hear yours? Would be interested to hear those SBLs and bigger Naim stuff WRT what I have :)

domfjbrown, Feb 26, 2004
  17. jimmymcfarrell

This closed down several years ago - still listed in the yellow pages, but no sign of the shop. I would have gone to the Plymouth branch of Sevenoakes but the most expensive turntable they stock is a Project Expression - shows what the demand for good hifi in Plymouth is like I suppose...

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 26, 2004
  18. jimmymcfarrell

GUTTED! I used to go in there in the early 90s to blag Linn/Naim/anything else catalogs, and got accessories etc in there. Didn't dare tell them I was using a Sony midi at the time :)

Just out of curiosity, how are "Wants" doing in Plymouth - they're kind of like an upmarket Smack Generators - there's one up near the market, on that road that goes up the hill to the corner where Comet is, and there's another one down near Western Approach.

Any more news on the redevelopment of Drakes Circus yet?

Also - if you like rave/psy-trance kind of stuff (I don't know but worth a go!) - you've GOT to go to Tramps at the Bus Station - every first saturday of every month they host Digital Blasphemy. I've only been there once so far (back in September!!) but it was a really friendly vibe and some great characters and tunes!

domfjbrown, Feb 27, 2004
  19. jimmymcfarrell

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Bloody coffins :rolleyes:

Uncle Ants, Feb 27, 2004
  20. jimmymcfarrell

The Devil IHTFP

Better luck next time.

The Devil, Feb 27, 2004
Ask a Question