Slightly creased tweeter: Does it matter that much?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Jun 24, 2004.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I've just noticed on one of my Rega Ela's the tweeter seems to be slightly wrinkled / creased, it looks like it was maybe pushed in earlier in its life.

The speakers seem to sound alright to me, but is there likely to be noticably degradation to the sound, or does not really matter that much?

PBirkett, Jun 24, 2004
  2. PBirkett

adam

No,I had it on some B&W didn't effect sound,just changed it as it looked horrible and your eye focused on it,for that alone I bought the new on,which was just like a cover over the actual tweeter.

adam, Jun 24, 2004
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I cant really seem to tell the difference between the two speakers, so I'm guessing that sonically they arent affected perhaps? There is still some small creases which I think may be rescuable using tape or a hoover.

PBirkett, Jun 24, 2004
  4. PBirkett

analoguekid Planet Rush

Shoudn't make any difference Paul, only change them if the look of it bugs you, may find it's inexpensive to repair, if it's a crease then tape or hoover is unlikely to make any difference.

P

analoguekid, Jun 24, 2004
  5. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Your right AK, I've just tried tape and hoover (didnt really wanna get too aggressive with that) both and I couldnt get any of the creases out. Ah, bugger it, I have the grilles on anyway, and I dont think its a problem really as you say.

PBirkett, Jun 24, 2004
  6. PBirkett

Lt Cdr Data om

its not too bad, it MAY affect the performance, and I have had one or 2 in the past, but you probably won't notice. The only effect is psychological.

not too bad, because if I recall correct, its a vifa tweeter, and they are dirt cheap...£20-£25 and top quality, too. You may want to do the two if you do replace.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 24, 2004
  7. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yeah if i replaced them i would do both, otherwise presumably one would be more burned in than the other. Honestly though, I am not bothered, they seem to sound alright, and they come with a 6 month warranty so if it fails (within 6 months obviously) I'll get it done for nowt :)

Also I didnt know it was a Vifa tweeter until you told me, but I read only 15 minutes ago someone reckons they are very robust tweeters.

PBirkett, Jun 24, 2004
  8. PBirkett

Lt Cdr Data om

actually, you may have recompense if they were described as perfect, or otherwise, if they defy the description, you could insist on it replacing, or threaten to sue for breach of contract/misdescribed.
    I like vifa very much, every speaker I have heard with them was good, built well, too.
    woofer is made by royd, as in royds minstrel and others, only found that out later. not dear, as small magnet and paper cone, but boy, the rega kyte are one of my faves of all time...best midrange I have ever heard. Who cares about cost.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Jun 24, 2004
  9. PBirkett

andrew1810

My Ela's also have a very slight dent in one of the tweeters and I haven't noticed any difference, maybe they are a little weaker than other speakers

Andrew

andrew1810, Jun 24, 2004
  10. PBirkett

ANOpax ESL-Meister

dents

My old Wharfedale 708s had a depressed tweeter on one speaker and I couldn't tell the difference. It used to bug me at first but I got over it within a couple of months (+the physics teacher at school assured me it wouldn't affect the sound).

reg

ANOpax, Jun 25, 2004
Ask a Question