Slimdevices Squeezebox 2 Questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nsherin, Sep 26, 2005.

1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Hi guys,

I'm considering going down the Squeezebox 2 route in order to play DVDs and movies from my PC through my amp. The Squeezebox appeals to me, as I've heard good reports on it from several people here, it also plays back AAC. Controlling from a web browser is handy, so that I can use the library like I do with iTunes whilst sat on my (the amp/PC share the same desk). I've got a few questions:

1) Would the Burr-Brown DAC be much of an improvement over the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2?

2) Can I also route audio from DVD/VCD discs played back using WinDVD to the Squeezebox

3) I take it I can simply give the Squeezebox a static IP address and use a crossover cable to connect it directly into the ethernet port on my motherboard.

Thanks,
    Neil

nsherin, Sep 26, 2005
  2. nsherin

julian2002 Muper Soderator

neil,
    1) probably - the sbox 2 pays a good amount of attention to power regulation to the dac and analogue output - it can be improved upon but is pretty good.

2) not afaik.

3) yes.

cheers

julian.

julian2002, Sep 26, 2005
  3. nsherin

Thanks Julian. Not sure whether I'll bother with one if I can't send signals from other applications - might as well stick with the Audigy 2 - it doesn't sound bad actually to be fair.

nsherin, Sep 26, 2005
  4. nsherin

Tenson Moderator

How come you can't just send any audio signal down it?

Tenson, Sep 26, 2005
  5. nsherin

andrew1810

Mainly because the sound is transmitted to the player and buffered, so there would be (depending on settings) about a 30 second gap between picture and sound.

It is designed as a music player and as it runs completely from the server software, that would need to be completely rebuilt to support other signals.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a product on the market that can stream anything, they all need music/video from within the software supplied.

andrew1810, Sep 26, 2005
  6. nsherin

Well I guess I could use the Squeezebox for music duties and keep the Audigy 2 for movie duties.

nsherin, Sep 26, 2005
  7. nsherin

Tenson Moderator

Surprising! With wireless networking it would be very easy to do. The bandwidth is easily enough.

Tenson, Sep 26, 2005
  8. nsherin

andrew1810

andrew1810, Sep 27, 2005
Ask a Question