Slowly getting there...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Haselsh1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Haselsh1

Haselsh1 Shaun H

After many years of having it all very free and easy during the eighties and nineties things became quite hard during 2000 when I was made redundant. I ended up owing a small fortune to various credit card companies as that is how we had become accustomed to living and just about all of my precious Hi-Fi had to go.

At that time I had an Alphason Sonata with an Alphason HR100SMCS tonearm and an Ortofon Kontrapunkt cartridge. The phono stage was an EAR MC type and amplification was an Audion 300B SEL single ended eight Watt jobbie. This went into Audionote speakers but I just cannot remember the model. I do remember that they were floorstanding.

The state of play at the moment is at the following link:
    http://www.pickeringphotography.co.uk/Hobbies.htm

There are no ampification images to show because as we speak, I have just secured a pair of Audiolab 8000M monoblocks from some geezer via ebay. They should work just fine with the Creek preamp.
    You can see from this that recovery from a situation is very slow but it is happening. All I can do is give it time.

Haselsh1, Mar 29, 2009
  2. Haselsh1

seasidersrock

Great choice of speaker, bought mine last week, ex display £399. Same retailer.
    Have to agree they are excellent, I have been struggling to find a decent speaker at a reasonable price.
    My living room is huge, 2 rooms knocked into one with a 15 ft ceiling, the Dalis fill the room with no problems.
    Using a Marantz PM17 which works well with them. 90 watts into 4 ohms.
    Vinyl is also very, very good...Enjoy............

seasidersrock, Mar 30, 2009
  3. Haselsh1

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I know the feeling well Capt. as my nice hifi components went like sand through my fingers. I have to sell and save to buy things now, but its a lot better than credit - and gives me a valuable sense of perspective I previously lacked! As far as life goes, just forwards suits me fine, poorer but richer if you see what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
    SMEagol, Mar 30, 2009
  4. Haselsh1

Haselsh1 Shaun H

SMEagol I know so well what you are saying. I could seriously cry when I think of the Hi-Fi gear I've had to sell to eat and drink. I am now in a better position but still not brilliant. OK I am very pleased that I now have to save to be able to buy... it is a lot better than a credit card but I now own my own business with my partner Janet and I am only able to take 350 a month from that business for my hobbies so to be able to save for anything worthwhile takes a very long time.

Yes, it is all coming together. The thing I would like to concentrate on for the next eighteen months or so is the turntable. I would love a really good deck...! It's a shame it will take so long.​

Haselsh1, Mar 31, 2009
Ask a Question