SME 3009 S2 Improved Fixed or Removable Headshell

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pborlace, Jun 11, 2010.

1. pborlace

pborlace

Apologies if this has already been discussed but are there any opinions on which is better. I have the fixed but would like the removable headshell version as it is easier to swap cartridges.

Thanks
    Peter

pborlace, Jun 11, 2010
  2. pborlace

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Depends on your choice of cart - the detachable shell version is higher mass, and likely to be more at home with modern carts. The fixed shell version is very low mass and really only suited to the high compliance MM carts of it's period e.g. Shure V15III, Ortofon VME20E etc, though that's not to say it doesn't work with other carts - I've actually heard a Sumiko BPS MC cart sounding pretty happy in one. If you are planning to swap for a detachable shell 3009 I'd go for the pre-Improved as it's a better arm IMO and can be found for not much more second hand.

Tony.

TonyL, Jun 11, 2010
  3. pborlace

pborlace

I'm currently using a Goldring 1042, I wonder if it would be a better match with a detachable headshell model.

pborlace, Jun 11, 2010
  4. pborlace

ovalmarc ovalmarc

I have the same fixed headshell with goldring 1042 and i think it sounds just great.
    A friend of mine has the sme 3009 with detachable headshell but we both think that the goldring is more suited to mine. :)

ovalmarc, Jun 11, 2010
  5. pborlace

pete693

I have a 3009 S2 improved with detachable headshell fitted with a Denon DL160. I took my time in setting it up as per the SME instructions and I am very pleased with the result.

pete693, Jun 11, 2010
Ask a Question