Smeagol's got an STD ...(turntable) damping material suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SMEagol, Apr 17, 2009.

1. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Hi all

After another round of tinkering with this fab TT I've decided the bitumenous material that damps the underside of the plinth is looking a bit tired (dried out and cracked and a bit shrunk actually) any suggestions anyone? Apparently its similar to the BBC LS3/5A monitor stuff. thanks again Gav, its a great thing.

:D

SMEagol, Apr 17, 2009
  2. SMEagol

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Apr 18, 2009
  3. SMEagol

scott_01

What about some Dynamat? If you're about London I've some sitting around that you could have a go with.

scott_01, Apr 19, 2009
  4. SMEagol

zanash

try a heat gun to either mold the bitumen back into position or remov to either replace with same or other .

Bitumen dampung can be bought from car motor factors as panel damping ..or the cheap skate verision from wilko as roof flashing ...beware of the metal foiled version as you can create shorts on exposed contacts ..

the cheap stuff is as good as the more expensive ...though ay be not as good as the dynamat

I'd look at a layered approach....visit rswww.com and tpe damping into the search ...there are several rather intresting products ...not cheap but if used in conjuntion with others might be very effective .

Don't damp ot the point of deadness as that can be imparted to the sound ....

another tip don't do the platter unless you can achieve a perfect balance otherwise you will introduce a wobble ..

you'd be right in thinking that I've dne this before ! ....but not on the std

zanash, Apr 21, 2009
  5. SMEagol

Haselsh1 Shaun H

"Smeagol's got an STD"

SMEagol, it must be the company your keeping...!​

Haselsh1, Apr 21, 2009
  6. SMEagol

gav.d

I'm pleased you like it SME, I'm glad it's gone to a good home, now if I could only do the same for my Hadcock GH228..........

gav.d, Apr 21, 2009
  7. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I think dynamats in the lead so far, with the 'SONIQS' PDC - Cabinet Panel Damping Compound, for curiousity Thanks Simon. Wish I was down London way Scott.

Thanks all for the help, and Gav I'm taking good care of it. Shame your Hadcocks not an SME mount. Zanash, good tip - I'm in no hurry to do the platter!
    The beauty of a TT like an STD is you can tweek as you get the cash, rather than stare at some piece of German engineered high end art whilst living on baked beans!. I'm very pleased with the sound of it, I could do with a lighter cartridge, one that suits a 3009 fixed headshell well so any tips appreciated.

I thought I'd get my old Clearaudio Accurate checked over by Expert Stylus and sell that to raise enough dough.

Thats the next tweek after getting a rewire on the tonearm and losing the bog standard VDH tonearm lead.

STD - not the best name for a TT!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2009
    SMEagol, Apr 23, 2009
  8. SMEagol

spica

You may have seen these already :)...this being the 305D not the (manual) M. Article from 79... Mentions damping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2009
    spica, Apr 23, 2009
Ask a Question