Smith is poorly, I am suffering from dirty...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, May 7, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

mains.... Why do the the power people insist of reducing output at this time of night? Smith needs feeding and he aint getting any juice...

Ok sorry for naff cheesy introduction but does anybody notice that HIFI sounds crap at this time of night? I assume the elecrcity board is delvering less power to due to less demand. I actually find my HIFI sounds best during the afternoons or mid evening when there is high demand for elecricity.

amazingtrade, May 7, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

Saab

nope,never ever noticed any difference between any time of day,although i though it was the other way round,better at night due to cleaner supply and less background noise? I must have a better electricity company than you,mine sounds fine and i listen to music between 12 and 1 most nights

Saab, May 7, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Mine used to sound better at night as well. May be its just my ears, normaly I can hear the background noises in tracks such as guitar amps, now I can't. Its possibly a result of tiredness I don't know.

amazingtrade, May 7, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

AT why not get a plastic,not metal ,bucket and when your hifi is sounding good, fill the bucket with electricity.Later on when its sounding a bit rough pour the electricity from the bucket back into the hifi.do make sure you empty the bucket every night before going to sleep as you dont want to leave a bucket full of electricity lying around,at best someone might nick it,at worst you may mistake it for a potty and that could be painfull.:MILD:

themadhippy, May 7, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

Saab

or state of mind

certain music always sounds better when i am in a bad mood tbh

Saab, May 7, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Nah, what you want is some special fat cables that'll allow all this thin late night leccy in a bit easier, y'know :rolleyes:

Uncle Ants, May 7, 2004
  7. amazingtrade

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

The voltage and mains frequency are kept within standards and it is easier (not harder) to do when the load is low and more predictable, so if anything you should be getting the voltage and frequency it says on the label late at night, which might sound better, not worse. The grid delivers the power needed so that the voltage does not sag, no more no less. In addition there should be less noise on the mains, due to fewer items of industry and home putting noise on the mains from inductive motors, switching, etc. (and fewer Linnies in your neighbourhood using their SMPSes ;)

Maybe you are playing back at a lower level and this is not having the same impact?

SteveC, May 7, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

technobear Ursine Audiophile

My hifi used to sound fab late at night. Of course since I got my various mains treatments it now sounds fab at any time of day :)

Perhaps it's just that late at night when there are no other disturbances you can hear just how dire budget hifi is :(

technobear, May 7, 2004
Ask a Question