Smoking ban

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lhatkins, Oct 27, 2005.

1. lhatkins

penance Arrogant Cock

Wrong, and do you really believe what you find on google?
    I found a website the other day about how Rome was built by aliens who still live in tunnels below the city!

FWIW, i am in favor of a ban. Yes i smoke, but i wont smoke in restaurants unless the majority are and people dont mind. If i am the only smoker in a pub i think twice about lighting a ciggy. There is no hard evidence of passive smoking tho. Find me an official medical research paper that shows hard evidence and i will change my mind.

penance, Oct 28, 2005
  2. lhatkins

wolfgang

3. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Well I would hope that people would use their common sense and follow links to crediable sites like Bupa, BMA and similar legitimate sites, yep there is a lot of BS out there, would be interesting to read the Rome aliens story though :)

Fine, if I must do the leg work for you (first link of a gogle search btw) An artical from ash.org.uk

lhatkins, Oct 28, 2005
  4. lhatkins

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I do believe what I read in google no? Do I believe what smokers tell me about passive smoking - certainly not.

amazingtrade, Oct 28, 2005
  5. lhatkins

penance Arrogant Cock

Thanks wolfgang, it seems i am wrong, so appologies.
    Like i said tho, i am in favor of a ban, my comments were not to support my habbit but from my misunderstanding.

Lee, thanks for the leg work ;) (you have PM)

penance, Oct 28, 2005
  6. lhatkins

Maybe a ban will mean that you smoke less as well :)

7. lhatkins

penance Arrogant Cock

It may, but tbh i dont smoke that much (to my mind anyway). I roll my own (and thin they are), probably smoke 10 - 15 a day and rarely finish a complete one. Thing is i do actually enjoy a rolly.

penance, Oct 28, 2005
  8. lhatkins

la toilette Downright stupid

I gave up smoking about three months ago (and counting). What I'd really like to see is someone to invent a cigarette that has no health implications, as I miss my roll ups to be honest, and only gave up as I didn't want to die earlier than I have to. I never minded being a slave to nicotine, it's the associated lung cancer and heart disease that are the downers. Unfortunately healthy ciggies ain't gonna appear methinks.

Anyway, considerate smokers like penance are not the problem, it's the thick tw@ts that sit in the car with their kids and chuff away that are the problem, like my neighbour.

la toilette, Oct 28, 2005
  9. lhatkins

GAZZ

Personnel choice? Come on, what about cocaine, heroin, LSD, personnel choice for these drugs as well? IMO Tobacco should be banned full stop too.

About 3 months ago I was in a pub for a meal smoke free, when a man lit up a cigarette, I asked him to put it out he told me where to go. I then told the manager who asked the man to either put it out or leave the pub, to which the idiot blew smoke into the manager's face. After the idiot had left, the managers told me that was the 4th time this had happened in 2 months. This suggests to me that smokers are selfish and as long as they can poison themselves they do not care who else they poison.

GAZZ, Oct 28, 2005
  10. lhatkins

Where is your entreprenierual spirit? Don't just say they should invent, invent it yourself! :)

11. lhatkins

I am not sure you can say smokers are selfish because of that, clearly some smokers are selfish thugs that try it on, but then they are plenty of none smokers like that too.

At least the manager did somthing about it though.

12. lhatkins

Well how about fat, sugar, and salt-rich foods (?), they probably kill more people than all those drugs you mention; there are a lot more people destined for an early grave due to bad diet than there are due to drugs. Where does your lifestyle censorship stop? (although I'd vote for an end to fast food outlets and shite fizzy drinks, but then I'm a self confessed hypocrite and I live to contradict myself).

Personally I think most drugs should be legalised too, to ensure quality control and to take it out of the hands of criminals.

It's so easy to target drug users/drinkers/smokers and anyone else who does something you don't and blame them for ruining everything for the masses - the truth is that modern society makes people desperate; lack of community and personal responsibility, it's no wonder some people have a nihilistic outlook.

Does any of that make sense? Probably not, ho hum.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2005
    la toilette, Oct 28, 2005
  13. lhatkins

GAZZ

So you would be in favour of legalising most drugs would you?

There are drugs that are legal in this country, just most people do not know about them.

The only reason most drugs are illegal is because of health risks and addiction. One could therefore argue that if tobacco is legal all drugs should be legal, even heroin and amphetamines. Amphetamines are legal in certain circumstances, solders in war time use them.

GAZZ, Oct 29, 2005
  14. lhatkins

Yes I would.

As you say, loads of drugs are legal, plenty of them prescribed. Don't get me wrong, I'm neither a drug user (although I have tried a few in the past) nor would I recommend usage to anyone, point blank (I'm not even a smoker anymore) - but what I would maintain is that there are plenty of perfectly legal things that people can do/use to harm themselves and those around them, so it seems stupid to highlight a particular social occupation like smoking or whatever and try to dress it up as something worse than it is..........

la toilette, Oct 29, 2005
  15. lhatkins

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

B****xs to the lot of em! so its for health reasons? Every day i walk to work and have to suffer the pollution being chucked out by by the cue of cars waiting to drop there little darlins off at school,so lets band cars,not olny are the exuast fumes a killer,(how many cases of smokers comitting suicide by locking themselves in a garage with 40 woodbines have been reported?) but there major cause of global warming.
    when i walk home from work,i often risk my health walking home through the drunken arseholes who want to fight the world,so lets ban drinking,not olny does it cause damager to the user ,but also cause numorus problems with violence in most town centers , everything we do is either harmfull to our,or someone elses health so lets ban everything everywere.

themadhippy, Oct 29, 2005
  16. lhatkins

GAZZ

As you say La toilette and themadhippy , there are plenty of things that can damage our health. Take sport for instance, should we ban all contact sport, or motor sport esp bike racing or even fishing (the most dangerous sport in the UK).

Themadhippy how many Chelsea tractors near you, should they be banned from innercities.

GAZZ, Oct 29, 2005
  17. lhatkins

The difference with smoking is that its often done in doors in small confined areas and it harms those that don't wish to take part.

With cars they are usualy driven outside and modern cars have very good filters which reduces the amount of crap they chuck out.

Again with drinking you're probably 100,000 times more likely to come across a somebody blowing smoke in your face than somebody threatening you when drunk.

amazingtrade, Oct 29, 2005
  18. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

should ban cycling, very dangerous to your health :p

Oh come on, we're talking about long term damage, ya sure there are problems with alcohol but that's down to the user, raise the drinking age to 21 and ban alco-pops and the problem will go away (subject for another thread), but smoking causes long term damage not only to the user but the poor sod to has to breath it in, cancer is not fun and for those of us who's lost someone close as a direct result of this I guess its a little close to home.

lhatkins, Oct 29, 2005
Ask a Question