Smoother treble

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rockhopper, Jan 4, 2007.

1. rockhopper

rockhopper

Hi all,

im using Revolver R33 speakers which I love, but sometimes the metal tweeters can be a bit on the harsh side for my liking.

I think a different speaker cable may do the trick. Currently using DNM Reson which was perfect with my previous speakers (Neat Mystiques). But the Neat's tweeters were a fabric material, and a lot smoother.

So im gonna try a few different cables with the Revolvers, can anyone recommend any? I want to keep the detail, midrange, bass quality etc I have, I just want a smoother treble...

Any help folks?

rockhopper, Jan 4, 2007
  2. rockhopper

anubisgrau

lots of americans are raving about anti-cables, they are cheap even delivered from the US.

anubisgrau, Jan 4, 2007
  3. rockhopper

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I would look elsewhere. The speakers are not necessarily the cause of the harshness.

Do you use Auric Illuminator on your CDs? That adds considerable clarity and musicality and removes noise and grunge and harshness.

What cables are you using? (Uh-oh, here we go again :rolleyes: ) See if you can borrow a set of pure silver speaker cables and interconnects. Then see how much harshness remains.

I've spent a fortune on boxes over the years trying to get rid of harshness. I could have saved at least half of it (i.e. several thousand) if I had know sooner about AI and pure silver cables.

Others will of course disagree and pile in with the usual tosh about how some of us are hearing things etc. so this will be my only contribution to this thread. Just use your own ears.

technobear, Jan 5, 2007
  4. rockhopper

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

It sounds like you don't like the sound produced by the tweeter in your speakers.

There's nothing wrong in that, but the only solution I think you'll be happy with in the long term is using a different tweeter/speaker.

~nb
    it might be worth a look at the crossover. It's likely a very inexpensive capacitor is used to drop the tweeter. Cheaper caps sometimes have a sharp sound to them.

Something like a Solen isn't the best cap in the world, but if you find there's something really cheap in there (you probably will), it can tame things somewhat.

bottleneck, Jan 5, 2007
  5. rockhopper

Garmt

Can you mention the rest of your system rockhopper? It might be your amp/cd-player are also in part causing the sharpness.

Garmt, Jan 5, 2007
  6. rockhopper

anubisgrau

you should check zanash silver cables too

anubisgrau, Jan 5, 2007
  7. rockhopper

rollo

rockhopper,
    What CDP are you using?Maybe the new speakers are revealing traits of components upstream that you couldn't notice before.Try changing the CDP first and see what happens,have FUN.
    rollo

rollo, Jan 12, 2007
  8. rockhopper

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

[​IMG]

Try one of these :D

Chea Johndle, Jan 12, 2007
  9. rockhopper

penance Arrogant Cock

I'd go along with TB's recs, ive heard the same improvements from the same tweaks. Only silver cables didnt do it for me, but personal preference ymmv etc..

penance, Jan 12, 2007
Ask a Question