So much for the Arctic weather...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by technobear, Jan 27, 2004.

1. technobear

technobear Ursine Audiophile

This Arctic weather is a bit boring. It was 3 degrees here this morning and it's now 6 degrees and bathed in brilliant sunshine :rolleyes:

It's not fair. I want at least two feet of snow so that I can stay in bed tomorrow :mad:

technobear, Jan 27, 2004
  2. technobear

tones compulsive cantater

Come immediately to Zürich - it's been snowing all day here, and while I can't claim 2 feet (apart from those to which I'm currently attached), it will certainly slow down traffic. Alas, I come by train and nothing short of a major blizzard stops the SBB (Swiss Federal Railways).

tones, Jan 27, 2004
  3. technobear

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You're a lucky man tones, we just don't get proper winters in the UK any more :(

technobear, Jan 27, 2004
  4. technobear

tones compulsive cantater

But neither do we. The climate has noticeably warmed, even in the 13 years we've been here, and winters are not as long or as hard as they were. We were amazed to see some bulbs coming up in the garden last week. When we replaced our ancient (oil-burning) heating system a couple of years ago, the new one was tiny by comparison. The guys explained that the old ones were meant to keep things warm down to much lower temperatures and this simply wasn't necessary any more.

During last summer, every warm weather record was comprehensively demolished, with one place in Graubünden (E. Switzerland) outstripping Basel's old record by more than 2 degrees, hitting (or rather being hit by) 41.5°C.

One could begin to believe in global warming.

tones, Jan 27, 2004
Ask a Question