So...the decision's been made

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gromit, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Further to my somewhat fruitless/fruitful (depending on what camp one might sit in) Rega P5/7 dem last friday, I turned up at Walrus this morning clutching another armful of well-travelled vinyl. Whilst realising there are no doubt many more turntables within my prosective (but somewhat conservative) budget, I'm not one to enjoy making decisions when there are too many variables. Anyway...(ramble ramble)... ;)

Today was most definitely the crunch match - the play-off for my lp collection's future affections.

System:

Gyro/OL RB250/DV10x5
    NA Spacedeck with the same arm and needle.
    Dynavector phono stage
    Brinkmann integrated
    Spendor S5e

Starting off with the Gyro - must admit it sounded slow to me. Although metronomic in its portrayal of tempo, it did seem a bit laboured. Ok this could have been down to characteristics of the cartridge/amp/speakers as my Gyro positively whizzes along at a fair clip. However, giving the system 10 mins or so to warm up seemed to help. The usual Gyro strengths of big soundstage, airy top end and lean bass were present and correct though. Seeing as this is the turntable I've spent the last 11 years with I thought I'd get Les down to change over to the Spacedeck fairly pronto as this was the beast I'd really ridden my bike through 45 mins of p*ssing rain to hear.

At first (and this really worried me) I could hear very little difference. However, I just let a few tracks spin by to let the cartridge warm up whilst I wandered around the dem room looking at some of the jaw-dropping record players sat around.

Returning to the job in hand, I went back to track 1 (Al Jarreau again) and a change had taken place - this 'full fat...lots of colour...' thing which NA owners speak of began to make sense. And the bass?? Jeez...grunt city - an extra octave (sorry...cliche alert) over the Gyro and bloody quick with it. It was like the turntable had sent a message to the speakers along the lines of 'Get a grip'. Most noticable were the vocalist's vowel sounds and how they were more pronounced than on the Gyro - tonally the NA's denser and possibly a bit congested compared to the airy and transparent Gyro - but I'd say it's more satisfying.

The best thing though was that I was in no hurry to change to another lp, I'd become so much more engrossed. And I can't say fairer than that.

I'm a convert. :)

Gromit, Jan 10, 2005
  2. Gromit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

What about -

VPI
    Kuzma
    Roxsan
    Clearaudio

?

Going back for a repeat session? :D

bottleneck, Jan 10, 2005
  3. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

LOL :)
    I daren't go back - too many variables. I wouldn't have made my mind up by next Christmas otherwise. :D

Having said that, I have heard a Clearaudio tt and wasn't keen tbh.

Gromit, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Gromit

A VPI scout could be had with additional power supply for the money. Very good deck. Merlin is selling his to get a better one, as you probably know.

The Kuzma Stabi/Stogi S is a class contender too.

My favourite thing about both of the above is that they come with high quality unipivots.

I love spacedecks, but they really deserve more than a meat and veg 'cooking' rega! :)

bottleneck, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Who said I was getting a Rega? ;)

Gromit, Jan 10, 2005
  6. Gromit

Dexter

Gromit, you fad-following whore,

(cue image of Gromit, Spacedeck in hand, peddling furiously through pissing rain, WHOOPS, cobblestone! Wot a shame!)

Good on you, then! ;)

Enviously Yrs :mad:, Dex

Dexter, Jan 10, 2005
  7. Gromit

Hi Mate,

I've re-read the post.

If you havent ordered already, its definately worth your while trying the deck with alternatives to the spacearm.

Im not the spacearms biggest fan, and if you can get to hear some alternatives you may get a sound that you prefer.

I use my own NAS deck with a Kuzma Stogi S arm. Morch, hadcock both do unipivots at similar money to the spacearm too.

Les and Pete at Walrus rate the Spacearm, but you'll get a different story from dealers like Definitive Audio (notts) and Audio Consultants (reading)

All the best
    Chris

bottleneck, Jan 11, 2005
  8. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

LOL @ Dex :D my bike's got an engine, fortunately. :)

Chris - surprisingly, Les wasn't that forward with his praise for the Spacearm yesterday. Ok, if it's the only arm I'd ever use it's alright but it doesn't fit any other turntable (ie would be nigh on impossible to sell on) and represents a somewhat 'dead end' in the upgrade path.

Reckoning on an OL Silver or GH242 at the moment.

Gromit, Jan 11, 2005
  9. Gromit

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Bear in mind that the Spacearm has recently had a major bearing-pin and cup update that apparently makes a very big difference in performance, i.e. the Spacearm that Gromit heard is probably a very different arm to the one you originally formed an opinion on.

I've owned many good arms over the years and I like my Spacearm a lot, and that was in it's original spec (I sent it off to Nottingham yesterday to get the bearing update done so it will be better than ever when it returns).

Tony.

TonyL, Jan 11, 2005
  10. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Tony - didn't hear the Spacearm yesterday unfortunately. The NA did have one fitted, but it also had an OL RB250 which was what the Gyro was using. Maybe I should hear a Spacearm then - it's a smidgeon over my budget but don't want to completely write it off.

I'd also heard of the new bearing upgrade and the difference it makes. :)

Gromit, Jan 11, 2005
  11. Gromit

clintonf

Hi Gromit, i've been reading your (very interesting and informative) threads over the last few weeks and I feel obliged now to make a comment.

I've nowhere near the wealth of experience of TT's as most of the other members here (or yourself, of course) but I have to comment on the VPI turntables.

I've only heard one (the VPI ScoutMaster) even though my brother has an original Aries, but I would strongly recommend that you have a listen to the Scout (or Master if you can find a local dealer). I can't (and won't) use descriptive words to describe the sound, but I can say that I doubt that i'll be changing the TT for a very long time.

Having said that, I will consider the power supply and record clamp to see the amount of difference they make.

Please, please, please try a VPI before you make any decision and comment upon it.

Thanks

Clint

clintonf, Jan 11, 2005
  12. Gromit

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

It is in a totally different league to the various RB250 mods IMHO (though I've not heard the Michell Techno arm). Much will depend on whether you like the typical strengths of a unipivot. I've always really liked unipivots; you tend to get less surface noise and amazing clarity and realism in the midband and top that eludes all but the true cost no object conventional arms. This sometimes comes at the expense of some low end punch and 'balls', but it is a compromise I find far easier to live with (i.e. I think the Aro kills the Ekos etc). The Spacearm does not do a big song and dance about it's strengths, it is a subtle and easy going arm that gets a hell of a lot off the record with minimum fuss. It is, rather predictably, a superb match for the Spacedeck.

Tony.

TonyL, Jan 11, 2005
  13. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Many thanks for your comments Clint, it's much appreciated - I really ought to do exactly what you say and get a listen to a Scout to hear what all the fuss is about. It would be the sensible way of going about things; the reason I got a NAS demo was down to other folks' going ga-ga over it so I'd be a real pillock to not at least try a VPI.

Biggest problem is finding a stockist within a sensible distance from W. London. They seem very thin on the ground - if anyone knows of a dealer please let me know!! :)

Gromit, Jan 11, 2005
  14. Gromit

michaelab desafinado

Gromit - if merlin's VPI Scout is still for sale he'll probably let you have a demo and he's not far from W.London - maybe worth a PM :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 11, 2005
  15. Gromit

Dexter

ga-ga, Ga-Ga, GA-GA!

Or the Roksan Xerxes, FWIW! ;)

Pillockly Yrs, Dex

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2005
    Dexter, Jan 11, 2005
  16. Gromit

Croc

not really a dead end - i can sell spacearm in audiogon pretty quick for 500$ US.

and as another option - perhaps walrus will agree to trade it in the future for another arm.

Croc, Jan 11, 2005
  17. Gromit

joel Shaman of Signals

Nah, just get the NAS.
    I do like this new, improved Spacearm talk. Must resist, must resist...

BTW, you can also get the wavemechanic PSU for the Spacedeck ;-)

joel, Jan 11, 2005
  18. Gromit

Dexter

Notts to mention the HeftyKit ;) ;)

Dexter, Jan 11, 2005
  19. Gromit

joel Shaman of Signals

Got that :)

joel, Jan 11, 2005
  20. Gromit

Dexter

Well, we're talkin' about Gromit here, Joel. Does it always have to be about YOU? :D

Dexter, Jan 11, 2005
Ask a Question