So Thorsten has broken cover ...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Markus S, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

You wish to take the blinkers off sloppie. You havent heard my system so you cant really comment.

S&M seems to bear grudges - which is a bit silly given this is just a hifi forum and doesnt really matter. Perhaps he should approach these matters with a lighter heart?

anon_bb, Jul 29, 2006
  2. Markus S

Stereo Mic

BBV. I don't like the guy OK? I am perfectly entitled to say that and to wish him bon voyage in my own inimitable fashion. So stop the analysis and get back to trying to build a decent hifi.

Stereo Mic, Jul 29, 2006
  3. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

As I said - the need to make such petty and infantile parting shots says a great deal about your character S&M. Try to build a decent life.

Concern yourself with your own hifi not mine - you change yours often enough so something clearly isnt right.

anon_bb, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Markus S

Stereo Mic

Of course...

Stereo Mic, Jul 29, 2006
  5. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Actually its "I know better about hearing than you" ;)

anon_bb, Jul 30, 2006
  6. Markus S

Baudrillard

One minute T was there, and the next minute- gone- forever- to the hifi afterlife- leaving nothing behind but his empty cloak, mask and hat, a farewell note and an eerie silence. Meanwhile, we pay our respects here (or not, as the case may be) while perhaps the deceased looks down upon us.

Baudrillard, Jul 30, 2006
  7. Markus S

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

How about affording him the same professional courtesy you demand from others?

kennyk, Jul 31, 2006
  8. Markus S

RobHolt Moderator

He isn't dead, just busy doing other things, and good luck to him.

With Thorsten I get the impression that what you see is what you get. I don't think that anybody was taken in.

RobHolt, Jul 31, 2006
  9. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

I think you are right rob - and he had no truck with any kind of audio nonsense, much to the chagrin of those peddling it. Said peddlers now exhibiting a severe case of "sour grapes".

anon_bb, Jul 31, 2006
  10. Markus S

andyoz

How predictable.

The term "cheap shot" comes to mind.

andyoz, Jul 31, 2006
  11. Markus S

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Made in China huh? Whilst I have absolutely nothing but admiration for the price/performance of China-made Hi-Fi, you've got to wonder whether buyers at this price point expect their products to be manufactured in Switzerland or Japan? I would definitely spend this kind of money on China-made amplification, but digital products? Hmmmm.....

Got to be a tough nut to crack at £4k a pop. Maybe word-of-mouth will work in his favour, if the units are indeed worthwhile. At the end of the day, the CDP looks very different from anything I've seen, in terms of circuit design & layout. This in itself should generate a fair bit of interest amongst the reviewing community.

Let's hope he quietly drops all that naff "OPTI" nomenclature. I don't think Thorsten needs to patronise his clients with MF-style buzzwords.....

DT

Oh, and good luck! ;)

Dynamic Turtle, Jul 31, 2006
  12. Markus S

sideshowbob Trisha

I tend to agree. £4K each and made in China seems like a tough sell, especially for an unknown brand.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 31, 2006
  13. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Who says they are made in china?

anon_bb, Jul 31, 2006
  14. Markus S

Dev Moderator

Chinese whispers :D.

Dev, Jul 31, 2006
  15. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Indeed.

anon_bb, Jul 31, 2006
  16. Markus S

sideshowbob Trisha

Tenson did, a page or so back in this very thread. The AMR website doesn't say either way.

-- Ian

17. Markus S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

What's wrong with being made in china? Everything is these days and for any company to do otherwise is simply giving themselves a higher cost base for no benefit.

I-S, Jul 31, 2006
  18. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Quad for instance. And many others you probably dont realise.

anon_bb, Jul 31, 2006
  19. Markus S

sideshowbob Trisha

There's nothing "wrong" with being made in China, I wasn't suggesting there was. But I think the marketplace for £4K components from a brand new company is tough enough, and being made in China is not necessarily going to make that any easier, many people in the UK audio marketplace expect the more expensive products in a UK brand's lineup to be made in the UK.

Quad, of course, is not a UK company at all, but owned by the IAG group, likewise KEF and Audiolab, and UK build is therefore not to be expected. But when all these companies ceased to be UK-owned they had many years as brands behind them, and a proven track-record of quality.

Given that AMR's website doesn't mention the country of construction, I suspect they're well aware of all this, and if the stuff is Chinese-made I doubt they'll be making a big noise about it. I have no issue with buying Chinese-made luxury hifi, but lots of AMR's potential market will, no doubt about it.

-- Ian

20. Markus S

Tenson Moderator

I only said I *think* its made in China. But yes, nearly everything is these days. The important thing really I feel is where / who it was designed by, because those ethics will be carried through the products.

I have all my products made by a small group of quality cabinet makers in the UK, and believe me IT COSTS. The only reason I can do so is because of smallish quantities and the need for customisation in the products. For anything electronic and being made in larger quantities it just doesn't make much sense to do otherwise.

Tenson, Jul 31, 2006
Ask a Question