So what did you get?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by I-S, Dec 25, 2003.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Well, what nice (or nasty) gifts did you all get?

I got a dressing gown (needed one for years) and some money, to which I added some more and ordered myself a decent carbon fibre tripod (photography... a hobby that makes hifi look cheap :eek: :( )

Nothing hifi related.... oh well.

I-S, Dec 25, 2003
  2. I-S

voodoo OdD

A nice deLonghi coffee machine :MILD: .

Should keep me up for those long listening sessions :D.

Isaac, is that a tripod in your pocket........

voodoo, Dec 25, 2003
  3. I-S

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Didn't do too badly, some money which will go on either more music or concert tickets, or maybe even towards funding a MD recorder for the home system, to save plugging in the portable every time I want something new to hear on the move.

A new tea cup, or bucket, to be more precise. Very useful as I managed to break the one I had when I got back from the pub on Christmas eve. The only CD I've been given so far was the new Pearl Jam B-sides/out-takes compilation, Lost Dogs, which I've not yet got around to hearing. A few bottles of ale which I can get stuck into while listening to the PJ CD.

ilockyer, Dec 25, 2003
  4. I-S

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Doctor Who:The Three Doctors DVD
    Couple of sword and sorcery books, chocolate and CASH!!!!!!!!!

Merry chrimbo everyone!

(Even though we did have a sodding powercut for an hour at lunchtime today)

davidcotton, Dec 25, 2003
  5. I-S

space cadet Far out...

space cadet, Dec 26, 2003
  6. I-S

mutant

new amp, lots of cash, cd's, vinyl, thats about it. Good day allround :) now to the drinking ;) :D

mutant, Dec 26, 2003
  7. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

a george foreman grill - adkins diet here i come... a scarf - goodbye chesty coughs and the latest clarkson dvd - hello xenophobia.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 26, 2003
  8. I-S

titian

From other people?
    uhm. A promise for something which I never got. :rolleyes:

From me?
    A quartz metronome with beat, pitch and sound. :MILD: :rolleyes:

titian, Dec 26, 2003
  9. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Ah the lean green taste reducing machine. Guaranteed to turn the nicest food into the most tasteless junk! ;)

PBirkett, Dec 26, 2003
  10. I-S

michaelab desafinado

You can't be serious Isaac :confused: Photography is waaaayyyy cheaper than hifi! Of course it depends at what level your playing at in both hobbies but as an example, the money I spent on just my DAC (£1470) is more than I've spent on all my photography kit put together, and the DAC was s/h whereas my photography kit was new.

Admittedly I don't have loads of photo gear but it's more than adequate:

Olympus E-10 digital camera
    TCON-300b (x3 teleconverter) for above
    cheapo tripod that works
    ancient flash unit from my 35mm days - works though.
    various little accessories like batteries, chargers, cases etc.

When/if I eventually upgrade to a "proper SLR" Olympus E-1 setup it won't cost me more than £2500 tops which is what I'm considering spending on just a new amp!

...and if you're talking 35mm (not digital) photography then prices of top quality SLR bodies are absurdly cheap (in comparison to digital).

Even if you go for a top of the range setup:

Canon EOS 1D $3000
    + couple of top quality zoom lenses at $1500 each

...and let's add $1000 worth of accessories like flash, tripod etc. and we're still only talking about $7000. Call it £4500. OK, not cheap but for £4.5K you're only nibbling at the toes of a hi-end hifi system (BTW I'm not making a value judgement here, just stating the facts: You can easily spend £50K on a hi-end hifi). To spend anywhere close to £50K on camera gear in a realistic setup you'd seriously struggle.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 26, 2003
  11. I-S

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I got some clothes, some money (around £120), loads of chocolate, a dymnao LED torch, some cheap useless screwdrivers, some books including a rather amusing DIY FIX IT book. I also got a powerful 600W Bosh Jigsaw the only problem is it has no speed control on it:rolleyes:

amazingtrade, Dec 26, 2003
  12. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Michael-

My comment on cost is based on in hifi, you can things that do the basic job very cheaply (cd player, amp, speakers, cables). After that, it's just a question of how well you want it done.

In photography, it's different. If you want a 600mm F4 lens, you have no option but to spend around £8000 to get one. There is no cheap route to the big glass.

And Canon's 1200mm F5.6 comes in at a cool £120000....

Both are indeed expensive hobbies. And I'm afflicted with both :rolleyes: My camera gear presently easily outstrips my hifi, comprising of Canon EOS 3 and D30 bodies, 20 F2.8, 24-85 USM, 70-200 F4L, 300 F4L IS, 50 F1.8 lenses, 1.4X and 2X Teleconverters, 550EX flashgun, Manfrotto monopod and tripod, etc.... around £6k worth there, and I want to replace the 24-85 with the 24-70L, for another grand.

OT, the E1 system looks very promising indeed. The only issue I see with it presently is lack of any image stabilised lenses. If they remedy that, it will likely prove a very strong competitor to Canon and Nikon.

I-S, Dec 26, 2003
  13. I-S

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

i got evrything i asked for

nothing:D

themadhippy, Dec 26, 2003
  14. I-S

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

BLOODY HELL - my parents' P75 is slooooooowwwwwww!!!!

I got £15 of Next vouchers, some M&S jeans (which need exchanging - why can't they measure the damn things properly before labelling them!? - bummer though 'cos they're lavish - far nicer than 501s!), the Alicia Keys CD (how DO you defeat Cactus - I can't play it on this PC - tried a sticky label and left-shift and neither worked!) and some munchies. Got two more days' of visits and thus presents to go though - cool as!

So Ian - how plastered WERE you after the Wellhouse? Kelly texted me back dude - the Alicia Keys CD'll help there I reckon ;)

Merry chrimbo dudes!!! Don't forget The Office tonight!!!

domfjbrown, Dec 26, 2003
  15. I-S

HenryT

Cat food?! :confused: ;)

HenryT, Dec 26, 2003
  16. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Been a lucky guy, lots of cd's, cracking leather jacket to replace one I lost :rolleyes: nice bottle of port & the new transport mech for the wadia I've been waiting for, plus a great day with the kids, spot on really :) Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 26, 2003
  17. I-S

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

How plastered was I? Well, not too bad when I left the Well House at about half six, few more in Vines, got the 9pm train, managed to neck a couple of cans of Grolsch on the train, and finished the other two off when I got home. I slept quite well...

Know what you mean on the clothes measurements thing, think half these shops just randomly stick a label on and don't even consider that it may be the wrong one.

Off to watch the Office...

ilockyer, Dec 26, 2003
  18. I-S

sideshowbob Trisha

The highlights were about half a dozen bottles of malt, a couple of Frank Zappa CDs, a pile of books, an ace Sun Ra video, and a donkey that shoots cigarettes out of its arse.

All in all, not a bad haul.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 27, 2003
  19. I-S

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

but can you catch them in your mouth the right way round? :)

nb
    I got a kettle, a toaster, and the strokes new one on LP :)

my toaster has a ''bagel switch'' which is going to make me very fat. :D mmmmmm toasted bagels with cream cheese and salmon

bottleneck, Dec 27, 2003
  20. I-S

michaelab desafinado

Is that 120K ? :eek: Maybe the hifi cable companies still have something to learn about profit margins after all.... :D

OK, there's no cheap route to the big glass but I'd argue that you can get something that does the basic (photography) job cheaply and after that it's just a matter of how well you want it done ;)

For $1000 (probably £1000 in the UK) you can get a Canon EOS-300D kit with EF-S 18-55mm lens which will do 90% of what 90% of good amateur snappers will ever need it to do.

To me a 600mm F4 lens for £8K is like an £8K Teac P-0 transport and equally unnecessary. A sports pro will probably have one but I would make do with a less bright (and massively cheaper) Sigma equivalent and have to use higher ISOs and have noisier pictures but 95% of the time it would make no significant difference at all.

They're both expensive hobbies though when you start taking them seriously :(

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 27, 2003
Ask a Question