So you're happy with your kit....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Mar 23, 2008.

1. julian2002

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Apr 22, 2008
  2. julian2002

Corky 20th Century survivor

Buckinghamshire and soon moving to Yorkshire
    I'm not done with my work yet - I bet could spend another £2k tomorrow without even having to plan or search too much I think.

However, I'm aware too that there seems to be a point beyond which the law of diminishing returns takes hold and that's that. My system could be bought for less than £5k I think and, somewhere soon, that old law probably tips the balance.

But...

I agree with loads of what's been said already, but I'm kinda holding my breathe as I write this, I suspect something more compelling is coming - probably in the top quality solid state technology combined with downloading but of top notch audio at 'master' tape quality like the stuff Linn is experimenting with. It's really only held back by the technology now?

At least I hope something interesting like that's going to happen, because the mainstream is going down the pan as fast as it can (DAB, for example :()

Corky, Apr 22, 2008
  3. julian2002

shrink

I have become quite disillusioned of late with amplifiers in general. I had been messing with a set of bel canto ref1000's fed from a pre3 and sourced by a DAC-X all connected via decent balanced cables.

I have since downsized to a cyrus III integrated with PSX-R and a cyrus DAD3Q24 cd player.

Now i would love to say i was missing so many things, but genuinely i dont feel i am. Im still enjoying the music, the soundstaging is still there, as is the detail.

Which leads me to the conclusion that getting a decent sounding amp need not cost mega bucks.

To put it into perspective, i managed to get the integrated, power supply cd player, new set of interconnects, my friends LP collection and a new camera lens, for what i sold my DAC-X for.

Was a no brainer to me, and it shows that IMHO the speakers are the single most important part of any system, especially their relationship to your listening room. My speakers exceed the cost of the rest of my system by many times, even at original retail value the focals are almost twice as expensive as the rest of my kit put together. Do i care? not really, all sounds just lovely to me.

Now i have a system that looks good, sounds good, and has almost mini system convenience.

shrink, Apr 22, 2008
  4. julian2002

Until recently, I've been using a Cyrus 2 with PSX and it often showed a clean pair of heels to far more expensive systems. I really rate the Cyrus stuff. Mine has lasted 20 years and now goes to my son. Be nice to replace some caps, but it does surprisingly well - if a little volume sensitive

Corky, Apr 22, 2008
  5. julian2002

shrink

the III/PSX combination is one ive owned before... and since then ive had audiolab monoblocks, cyrus monoX's, some meridian gear, and most recently the bel canto kit. Ive only just given up on all of that and bought myself a III again.

Overall, none of the others above give me the musical satisfaction the little cyrus pairing does, hats off to them. Its a shame that IMHO they haven't made an amplifier as good as that since.

The DAD3Q24 is also a remarkably mature and sophisticated sounding player, and it may at some point in the future get its own PSX-R. Suffice to say i dont feel they let the focals down at all.

shrink, Apr 23, 2008
  6. julian2002

O'Shag

I'm still not there yet. I don't think I would classify myself as an 'upgradoholic', but I do have a definite end-point in mind where I believe I will be satisfied. I have several amps and have been through many more. I've been very partial to powerful valve hybrid amps, but am very impressed by Class D technology. If you've not yet heard a top-quality Class D amp, you should. I have been quite amazed at how good this technology sounds.
    Another technology that is evolving, but will definitely mature to a satisfactory level of performance for top quality audio, is wireless. I look forward to the day when I can dispense with all of the cables.

O'Shag, Apr 23, 2008
  7. julian2002

Couldn't agree more about the Cyrus stuff, but I guess that as they've become more and more successful, they have moved towards the low/mid market and away from their original modus operandi: to be less compromising in their design to get some standout in the market. I feel that when that happens, products move towards territory that is focused more on avoiding offending anyone but inevitably takes them towards mediocrity. But truly, I'm no judge because unless I'm in an upgrade phase, I stay out of the market and avoid reading the mags - they have a way of pressing on my dissatisfaction nerve that gets me spending money again :D

I remember, ok, half remember, an article in what have been Hi Fi Answers, where the designers set up a psx for the reviewer with massive higher quality caps that were too big to fit in the box so were hanging out the side - the results were being used to prove the sonic benefit of the power supply quality on the overall system.

When I came to replace my faithful old Cyrus 2 though, I was taken aback at the price they are these days... I paid less than £500 for the pair :)
    Great value for money!

Corky, Apr 23, 2008
  8. julian2002

titian

I'm very happy with the sound of my system and yes, it could be better. I spent the latest 2-3 years in tuning it and I'm happy about the result. I'd be surprised if in the next years I would buy equipments to replace mine.
    Also I have the backups I wanted to have and I could set up another system like my main one if I needed to.

What I could need is a larger room, something like 18 x 8 meters. Then there would be enough space to give the room a really good acoustical treatment down to the lowerest frequencies, which I find also very important. But those are dreams.

For the rest I'm going to upgrade my music room into a AV-room. I'll get a good filmscreen and a great projector.

Back to Hifi, I'm finishing the tweaks for my digital section. I want to finish going through my old CDs and then I'll see what I can do to improve the analogue part.

So, no great investments in the pipeline.

titian, Apr 23, 2008
  9. julian2002

Baudrillard

Thanks for that, Kmac

I'll probably choose the Air Exp option- to connect to preamp/dac and wirelessly to a Thompson Speedtouch router (Be) . £100 less than the squeezbox.

Baudrillard, Apr 23, 2008
Ask a Question