Software Cost

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by smudge, Aug 18, 2004.

1. smudge

smudge

Just saw the RRP system thread, interesting, and noted the comment about software cost , now that's also interesting and I'm wondering what the average ratio is Re hardware/software is on this site, my own is about 1/6 system cost (actually paid) to LP/CD's currently.

Stuart

smudge, Aug 18, 2004
  2. smudge

PeteH Natural Blue

Do note that after a certain point it's irrelevant - while you do look like a bit of a hifi geek if you've got 10 CDs for a £50,000 system, once you've got a few hundred CDs it takes you weeks of 24/7 listening to get round them all anyway.

I'd guess that my CD collection is probably of similar net worth RRP-wise to my stereo setup - I think I paid more real actual money for the hifi kit than the CDs though as I never buy CDs that aren't heavily reduced in price (and then I tend to buy a whole load all at once).

PeteH, Aug 18, 2004
  3. smudge

sideshowbob Trisha

No idea, but the music collection is worth a lot more than the hi-fi. Assuming an average of £10 per record or CD (which is too low, as a lot of the records are worth far more than that), and given that I haven't actually counted, a stab in the dark estimation would be that the music collection is probably worth a minimum of £50K.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 18, 2004
  4. smudge

greg Its a G thing

Blimey. System : Software @ RRP...
    1 (19K) : 2 (38K)

greg, Aug 18, 2004
  5. smudge

Robbo

I hope you are insured for that Ian. Athough I suspect most of your stuff is so obscure that it is irreplaceable :)

Robbo, Aug 18, 2004
  6. smudge

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

My home is like the set for the Hi-Fidelity film, there are records all over the place. There are records stored in every single room bar the bathroom – if you open certain draws in the kitchen you will find my store of inner sleeves etc. I'm currently trying to sell my flat and the looks of utter disbelief I get from those who come to view it is really quite funny. I am a full tilt record collecting geek and have been since I was a kid, so what I own currently has not been in any way a quick purchase, it has taken 30 years to build up (I still have some T.Rex 7†singles from when I was ten!). I'm obsessive too, so I always attempt to find a mint first pressing of everything even if it means buying and selling a few times to get there. I have no idea of the total value of my collection, nor how many records I actually have (probably around 5000 12†items, some being singles). I can tell you how much any individual record is worth, but have no idea of the total value, but it is probably a hell of a lot as there are quite a number of collectable LPs in there.

I buy and sell records and always have done to some extent – it is how I manage to buy what I want for myself. I will never intentionally leave an undervalued record in a shop – if there is a profit to be made it comes home! I have worked in a second hand record shop and know the trade pretty well.

The records are definitely worth a hell of a lot more than my quite modest audio system!

Tony

TonyL, Aug 18, 2004
  7. smudge

julian2002 Muper Soderator

wow at 10 quid a pop i've probably got about 8k's worth of music. however this is my 3rd cd collection. the last one was abondoned due to lack of suitcase space in the usa. that was getting on for a similar size to the one i have now. some real gems that i really regret leaving behind especially some promo cd's for local bands that i just can't get hold of again :( - if anyone can source a rockbusters 's.o.b. gyn.' or fabu's only album on cd i'd pay good money for either.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 18, 2004
  8. smudge

sideshowbob Trisha

I shudder to think what the value would be if I'd kept everything I'd bought. I regularly purge large amounts of stuff, not least because if I didn't I wouldn't have any room to actually live in the flat. As it is I have about half the CD collection stored in the office.

Reminds me of the old joke, "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink... I'd spend it on drink."

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 18, 2004
  9. smudge

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I also have a record/cd collection which I don't know the value of. I have in excess of 25000 items. These are LPs 12" singles, 10" singles, 7" singles, cd albums & cd singles. I do have items in every room including the bathroom. (Not in the bath, I may add. :D ) I also have a garage full of stuff, (god knows what's in there.)

The thing is that, I have picked a lot of stuff up cheap or free. Very few items I have paid above £10. I buy alot of cheap stuff at Fopp for £3 or £5. I also get alot of stuff free/promos/samplers, as I have been a DJ for a number of years. Some of this free stuff has not been on general sale, so it can be worth anything from a big fat zero to £100s of pounds. Also buying 2nd hand stuff from recent times to way back in time, all adds to the fun.

I'm not as obsessive as Tony L. (or on 2nd thoughts I maybe :eek: ) I do own stuff just to collect, I do have alot of items that I have not got round to listening to. Maybe one day. I'm just having fun trying listening to it all :cool:

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 19, 2004
  10. smudge

RickyC

Deepest respect!

Rich

PS Supplier of a small percentage of Dean's collection :D

RickyC, Aug 19, 2004
  11. smudge

hows this for a sobering thought. at some point in your life it will become impossible to listen to all the music you own just once more. dean, ian and others must be perilously close to that point.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 19, 2004
  12. smudge

Robbo

Julian, are you saying they are old ;)

Robbo, Aug 19, 2004
  13. smudge

nope just that they've got a hyawge amount of music. actually i just worked out that if dean's records had on average 30 mins of music on each one and he listened to 4 hours of music a day it'd take him 8 ish years to listen to all his records (i think i got it right) so not actually that bad really. still a lot of music.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 19, 2004
  14. smudge

cookiemonster

1 : 30

cookiemonster, Aug 20, 2004
  15. smudge

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Well, based on the current rate of NOW CDs on £pay, I'm a millionaire (NOW8 goes for £100ish!)....

I've got probably around £8k of CDs (approx 800), and around 500 LPs and 75 12inchers - no idea of worth but I guess another £10k since some are rare-ish. With 150 DVDs/35 Laserdiscs/200 tapes/40 8tracks on top, that's got to be a good £25k at least. Scary stuff!

I bought a lot of CDs second hand from 1991 onwards, and only really started collecting in 1990 when cassingles came out (parents' turntable was evil!).

domfjbrown, Aug 20, 2004
  16. smudge

badchamp Thermionic Member

I'm probably up to about 6K (600 ish CDs) , one vinyl album, 1 12inch single (Pork Dukes - Making Bacon on revoltin yellow vinyl :D ) big problem now we've moved (and the GF's minimalist non clutter approach to decor) is where to store the bl**dy things. Three months and still 80% in boxes in the shed :eek:

badchamp, Aug 20, 2004
  17. smudge

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

If your going for £10 a pop (genuines only) I'd say about £9K, which is pretty close in real terms to what I actually paid for the Wm music maker, so pretty equal really

wadia-miester, Aug 20, 2004
  18. smudge

<smug> most of my cd's are stashed in my wardrobes upstairs. yet i can still listen to them and they take up no more space than a box of tissues. </smug>
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 20, 2004
  19. smudge

johnhunt recidivist

ok 600/700 cd's at 10 quid a shot

2000 lp's similar

hifi say 11K

johnhunt, Aug 20, 2004
Ask a Question