Solid State amps with 'presence'

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by McShads, Jul 9, 2008.

1. McShads

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Hee hee! A berning might be very good, has enough watts 70, and almost sounds like a valve amp!

Purite Audio, Jul 10, 2008
  2. McShads

Robbo

you mean it doesn't have a syrupy, bloaty sound? That's good isnt it?

Robbo, Jul 10, 2008
  3. McShads

Exactly.

Purite Audio, Jul 10, 2008
  4. McShads

hifi addict

Simon the Distributor of Reference 3a uses Bel Canto. An ASR would be a good amp to use. The Dulcet's are small and you will be restricted a little just because of the diminutive size of the speakers. I like them a lot. I have a pair I'm playing with at the moment. They do like a bit of power to get the most out of the Carbon midrange unit. A Mark Levinson 336 would be a good match, but I would switch it on with a broom handle.

hifi addict, Jul 10, 2008
  5. McShads

brca Rookie

I would recommend Audio Analogue.
    The Italians make it right, almost every time and, yes they do have a presence. A slight touch of tubes, I would say.:)

brca, Jul 10, 2008
  6. McShads

Tenson Moderator

I would agree, and say that the amp probably has the least effect on this quality of a system. Get the rest right first.

Have you heard another amp in your own system as it is now, and in your room, give this quality you speak of?

Tenson, Jul 10, 2008
  7. McShads

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Yes, although I am a believer in the hierarchy of the principle of source, amp then speaker, this is in general terms. I would agree with Tenson that the amp, in many ways, has the least important role to play with regard to 'palpability'. If your speakers are not able to differentiate subtle midrange inflection (and many otherwise fine models are not) then your system will not achieve this quality. In addition, and to an even greater extent, midrange 'palpability' relies on very subtle micro dynamic interplay. It is my first hand experience that even subtle alteration to the design of ones source makes a remarkably profound difference to this quality of 'palpability'.

YNMOAN, Jul 11, 2008
  8. McShads

RobHolt Moderator

I would support the two posts above.

One of the most palpable speakers I've heard is the Quad ESL57.
    It pulls off this amazing trick whether I power it with a WD tube amp or a Cambridge SS.

Swap the Quads for a pair of Spendor S3/E and you get a less palpable mid band for sure - with both amps - the tubes don't save the day.

Of course some tube amps do have a less than linear transfer function into typical speaker loads, so they will sound 'different'.
    If you think that difference = 'palpability', fine.

RobHolt, Jul 11, 2008
  9. McShads

McShads

I think the rest of my system is fine, Opus 21 and Dulcet's.

Yes I tried an 11w 2A3 push pull amp which gave me that tangible sense of presence but it ran out of steam too quickly. My Sugden makes a fair fist of it, maybe as good as solid state can, I don't know, hence my question.

McShads, Jul 11, 2008
  10. McShads

lbr monkey boy

I've recently auditioned a number of power amps and I found that the palpability factor, something important to me, was markedly different between the three. On the basis of that experience, I'd say the amp is quite critical.

lbr, Jul 11, 2008
  11. McShads

Petergc

Lavardin perhaps?

Petergc, Jul 11, 2008
  12. McShads

defride

Rather than an idividual issue with a component its a question of the system and what works within it isn't it? A component that may sound uninteresting in one context may be the bollox in another. As far as the system goes that little bit extra can come from just getting the set up right. My Wadia came alive when I replaced Clearlight cones for Pulsar points I had knocking around. Not that it didn't sound good with the CCs, the PPs gave the system that extra presence I didn't know was there. Wouldn't work for everyone but did for me. What cables/power cables/support are you using?

defride, Jul 16, 2008
  13. McShads

McShads

Thanks for the reply, I figured get the amp sorted and then go on to cables and supports. Currently using twenty year old Audio Note silver interconnect, LV power cables, chord odyssey speaker cable and old style (20 year) sound organisation tables.

McShads, Jul 16, 2008
  14. McShads

I wouldn't bother, cables and tables are fine.

Purite Audio, Jul 16, 2008
  15. McShads

lbr monkey boy

cable and table are able, I think you meant :cool:

lbr, Jul 16, 2008
  16. McShads

That silver audio note will have just reached maturity!

17. McShads

defride

While I agree all your bits and bobs are perfectly good rather than just accepting others opinion try to home demo some stuff when you're in a position to. I bet there are some worthwhile improvements to be had in particular via the support. Only your ears will tell you.

re Amps someone else suggested Larvadin, had you thought about going that route? Should work well with the Dulcets. The importer uses a R. Audio CD55 and Larvardin Monoblocs (amoungst other things I would hazard a guess) so I presume they'll work well together if you don't mind the bare basic facilities. There are a couple of dealers advertising ITs for £2k at the mo.

defride, Jul 16, 2008
  18. McShads

Class A

Accuphase, Gryphon and Krell Class A

Class A, Jul 16, 2008
  19. McShads

I am going to make you listen to some valves 'class-a' and show you the error of your power hungry ways!

20. McShads

hifi addict

And Valves are so efficient?

hifi addict, Jul 16, 2008
Ask a Question