Some audio bits in "New Scientist"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tones, Feb 6, 2004.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

I picked up a couple of recent issues of "New Scientist" from the R&D library to read on the train home. Couple of tidbits:

24. January - JVC has solved the problem of making wooden cones for speakers (the problem being that thin wood eventually cracks) - the wood is marinated in saké! It is then pressure-moulded into a cone, impregnated with a thermosetting resin and heated to harden the resin. I'll bet it was a happy research project...

31. January - a fascinating article on why everyone's sensory world is unique. Although directed primarily at taste, smell and sight, it also mentioned other sensory perceptions, such as pain. It stresses that the sensory world is complicated by the brain's interpretation of what the senses are telling it. It gives a very nice illustration. In an experiment conducted at Harvard, volunteers were asked to watch a video of a ball game and to watch one team intently. After about 45 seconds, a woman dressed in a gorilla suit walked in front of the camera - and about half the viewers completely missed it! The rods and cones of their eyes obviously detected it, but their brains chose to ignore it.

Again it provided confirmation (as if any were needed on this forum) as to how different are all our sound worlds and how there really is no "right" and "wrong" in sound, only individual perception. It made me promise to be nicer to and more understanding of fans of cables, power cords, green pens, equipment supports, etc., etc., in the future - but only if they return the compliment!

tones, Feb 6, 2004
  2. tones

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tones, surely some mistake on the part of the new scientist? I mean was it DBT? blue curtained at all?. sorry mate aint worth the paper it's printed on, bar stuff & nonsence, it's hyperbol, these so called scientists, must have conducted these tests in an Unfair 'CJ provoking fashion' just not cricket old bean :rolleyes: :D

wadia-miester, Feb 6, 2004
  3. tones

tones compulsive cantater

Hmm, a gorilla in a blue curtain, now that would be different... And you're right, it wasn't cricket, it was that other game.

tones, Feb 6, 2004
  4. tones

joel Shaman of Signals

The JVC driver may be a break through, but it still sounds like s***e. There is a bizarre belief amongst many of my friends here that somehow wood drivers sound more "natural", which simply highlights tones' second very interesting point.
    WM, I notice that you now include extra "annadin". Is your stuff really that painful, or is it just DBX fear bringing on the headaches :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2004
    joel, Feb 7, 2004
  5. tones

auric FOSS

synesthesia, how do we know what others hear?

A short link about synesthesia via the Scientific American, sure makes you wonder what others are hearing when they don't like you latest record.

A u r i c :)

auric, Feb 8, 2004
Ask a Question