Someone slap me...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by punit, Dec 9, 2003.

1. punit

punit

Hello all!

Wadia-Meister suggested I post here, so...

I have/had:

* [Marantz CD63] connected with a Chord Company Cobra interconnect to a
    * Cambridge Audio DACmagic 2i connected with Cambridge Audio Studio Reference interconnects to a
    * Musical Fidelity X10-D connected with CA Studio Ref interconnects to an
    * Audio Innovations Alto (mkI before they went belly-up and bought by Richer Sounds)
    * Sony DMS-JE520 minidisc recorder (also connected to the DAC)
    * Denon TU 260L
    * TDL RTL2 speakers

However, my 1.5 year old son managed to break my Marantz CD63 and I have recently replaced it with a

* Marantz CD6000 OSE LE

The thing is, I actually found the CD6000 running through the X10-D sounded better than the DACmagic sound (I was stunned as I really believed the DACmagic to be the very best £150 I ever spent!). Could this player actually have a better internal DAC?

I actually like the slightly warm sound of my set-up. I don't ever want for more volume, so I guess 35W amplification is fine for me... however, I do sometimes think I might like to upgrade my speakers in order to get a teensy bit more bass. I don't want to add a sub-woofer.

Can anyone either slap me about a bit and tell me that all is well in hi-fiville, or guide me in the direction of a reasonable upgrade?

I have been tracking some Acoustic Energy AE109s and KEF Q35.2ss on Ebay. Oh yeah -- I really want the speakers in rosewood to match my other furniture and rack (Sounstyle something or another), which rules out a lot of current models -- everyone's into light wood right now!

I also have my beady eye on the Cambridge Audio DAB 300/500 and new Azur tuner to replace the Denon. I plan to run the DAB through the DACmagic. However, the nice people at Richer told me that the DACs in these units are probably better than the DACmagic. I have mixed feelings about that...

Thanks in advance!

punit, Dec 9, 2003
  2. punit

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have always found that Marantz have good quality parts accross the whole product. So in an amp they don't skimp on the premap section, in a CD player they don't skimp on the DAC etc.

DACs have come a long way in recent years. The dagmaic is probably a bit dated. The CD6000 was a very good CDP and because in the last couple of years nothing much has happened in the budget cd player market the CD6000 still is a great player and is my next choice.

The DACMAGIC's were probably just better than the DAC of budget kit of its time. As for the DAC in a cambridge audio DAB being better than the Dacmagic. Well it could be true but I have personaly found that Richer's sale men are not much better than Dixons when it comes to knowledge.

amazingtrade, Dec 9, 2003
  3. punit

punit

Thanks amazingtrade.

I bought my first hi-fi from Richer in Leeds back in 90/91 (student days). I was really impressed with their service back then, but of late, I've been really disappointed. I don't know if it's a London thing, or a more general state of affairs with Richer.

punit, Dec 9, 2003
  4. punit

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

You're not alone. I bought my first HIFI seperates system from richers in 1999. I was quite impressed them. These days though genuine bargains there are getting harder to come by.

Some of their stuff is becoming very poor quality indeed especialy by the amount of returns I have do done there this year.

Richer's still has a place but its not the great place it used to be.

amazingtrade, Dec 9, 2003
  5. punit

Warren M

Punit, I'm not so sure that either the CD6000 or the DACmagic has the better DAC. They are probably about they same quality but they do sound different.
    It may just be that you prefer the sound of the Marantz DAC, nothing wrong with that.
    Try leaving your DACmagic out of the system for a few days while you get accustomed to the sound of your new CD player. Then put the DACmagic back and run the CD player through that for a few days.
    I find it far easier to tell which I prefer using this method.

What did your son break on the CD63?

Warren M, Dec 10, 2003
  6. punit

punit

Hi Warren

In truth, my son only cosmetically damaged the tray front. It actually worked alright... but being anal, I decided I wanted a new player.

I have actually disconnected the DAC from the CD6000 now. I keep the minidisc player connected to the DAC... not that I ever use it now. If I ever do make an MD, it's on my PC using NetMD Atrac4, which my full size unit can't play. I really should have a clear out.

punit, Dec 10, 2003
  7. punit

GPC

I also have the same marantz player with a nad c350 amp and mordaunt short 902 speakers.

I actually prefer the sound/look to my mates more expensive dennon and kef kit. My girlfriend, who knows absolutely nothing about brands costs of hi fi ect also preferred the sound of the marntz.

I think they are a very underrated player and a lot of people slate them because they are Marantz and fairly commonly known.

Greg

GPC, Dec 10, 2003
  8. punit

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hi Punit,

Shouldn't be at all surprised if the DAC in your new Marantz equals or betters the DACmagic. The DACmagic's getting on a bit now and Marantz are no slouches with the DAC's in their CDPs.

On the subject of speakers, I couldn't comment on the AEs but have a pair of Q55.2s myself - essentially the same speaker as the 35.2 but with an extra bass driver, I'd imagine they'd produce similar noises though perhaps a little lighter in the bass. They suit me fine. Solidly built, good looking, no real rough edges to the sound and do most things well. One of the things I really like about them is that unlike some speakers I auditioned they sound pretty good wherever you are in the room. There isn't a tightly defined sweetspot, so your mates don't have to battle for the middle seat of the sofa :) Down to the UniQ drivers I think. But no need to listen to me, I'm a bit deaf :)

Uncle Ants, Dec 10, 2003
  9. punit

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I had TDL RTL2's for ONE day (knackered tweeter on new pair - last pair in stock)...

They were slow and bloated in the bass IN MY ROOM, but then the Mordaunt-Short MS25i's I replaced them with and these had adequate bass, so I reckon the RTL2s should have excellent bass in the right room (the old room was very VERY bassy).

I don't think the other speakers you're looking at will be as warm either - they might be clearer or faster, but more lean sounding as well.

Personally I'd stick with what you've got for now :)

domfjbrown, Dec 10, 2003
  10. punit

punit

Thank you all -- esp. domfjbrown

I will stick with what I have for now. Might even stick the DACmagic on Ebay and bid it a fond farewell.

punit, Dec 10, 2003
Ask a Question