Sonic T-Amp Speaker Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Pastiesboy, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Pastiesboy

Pastiesboy

Hi guys, firstly sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I have searched the forum in vain and my eyes are beggining to hurt. Can anyone suggest some suitable bookshelf speakers for the Sonic T-Amp. Sensitive of course and maybe classic/old, just because I have eBayitus in a big way and fancy yet another excuse to bid on something I don't really need!!!! (I'm sure you all know what I'm talkin about). Its for a wee system in the spare bedroom. As always any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks, Ryan.

Pastiesboy, Sep 13, 2005
  2. Pastiesboy

technobear Ursine Audiophile

How much did you want to spend?

technobear, Sep 13, 2005
  3. Pastiesboy

Pastiesboy

OK this is a toughy, £200 would be nice but would that be overkill or would I be selling the amp way short? Some of the reviews I've read suggest that the amp is good enough to be at the centre of a high-end system, which as I'm sure you can all relate to, is a difficult leap for the imagination. I guess I'd love to hear some peoples experiences with the Sonic. I bought it for so little that i feel that I shouldn't spend too much on speakers but I would hate to deny myself a slice of Hifi heaven!!!!!

Pastiesboy, Sep 13, 2005
  4. Pastiesboy

technobear Ursine Audiophile

The KEF Q15 is a nice little speaker, quite efficient at 91 db and can be had for £100 or less. If you can get a Q1, even better.

The JMLab Chorus 706 is 90 db but quite a lively sound.

The JMLab Electra 906 is a step up again.

Just don't expect to shake the floorboards.

Things like B&W DM601, Mission 780 or Tannoy R1 are good speakers but not so efficient.

Avoid things like Dynaudio. Great speakers but need some current up 'em to make 'em sing.

technobear, Sep 13, 2005
  5. Pastiesboy

ditton happy old soul

that's an idea. I have the Sonic-T, which I use with the cardboard Soundex NXT speakers - to good effect in guest bedroom system (visitors just plug in your MP3 player ...). I might also try them with my aged Ditton 15s and the pair of Electra 905s doing duty in the dining room. they both have some sensitivity.

ditton, Sep 13, 2005
  6. Pastiesboy

zanash

You need an efficient speaker the T-amps will put out abot 6 usable watts before distortion sets in. I appear to buck the trend driving a pair of martin logan Aerius i's. I think I can safely say that all who have heard the comb think it goes loud enough...as to there liking of the sound that is a different matter. Mr Sukebe suggested the leading edges were being effected, the bass is not hugely deep, but enough for me. But these gems score with transparency dynamics and imaging. As to actual makes well thats a too personal call just make certain you have a min. 89db to play with .

zanash, Sep 15, 2005
  7. Pastiesboy

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

With NXTs you won't need as much efficiency, as the sound level doesn't fall with distance in the same way as normal speakers.

7_V, Sep 15, 2005
Ask a Question