Sony DVP-NS900V volume control HELP!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by neek, Sep 1, 2005.

1. neek

neek

Hi, just found this forum and it looks great. Hoping someone may be able to help. I have just bought a Sony Sony DVP-NS900V DVD / SACD player. I am feeding the 5.1 SACD output into my Pioneer E800 processor. The 5.1 processor volume is set by the source and I can't seem to turn the volume down on the DVD player, At default it is unusably loud. Even if you set the speakers to small and -6db it is no good. It seems a shame as I only really bought the DVD player for Multichannel SACD's. HELP!
    Am I missing something??

Also I would just like to reccomend the INCA Design CD player. I have just bought the SACD version and it is stunning.

Cheers for any info.

neek, Sep 1, 2005
  2. neek

Garmt

Exactly what is the Pioneer E800?? Normally, you need to use the 5.1 input on your receiver processor. This input is normally fed through a volume control. It seems you have connected the DVD-player directly to the power amplifier inputs, skipping volume control of the source.

Garmt, Sep 1, 2005
  3. neek

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Sep 1, 2005
  4. neek

neek

Sorry, that's me being a Spaz! I was not very awake when I posted. Yes it's the Yamaha E800 processor. Yamaha have advised that the unit has a button on the back that I can try, shall try that later. They seem to think the Volume should not be locked. Shall update when I have tried it.

neek, Sep 1, 2005
  5. neek

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

You need to wire the DVD player's 5.1 outputs into these inputs on the top left of the rear panel:
    [​IMG]

As others have said, it sounds like you're wiring into the power amp in sockets (can't remember if the E800 has these - not been round the back of mine in a while!). That said, thinking about it - maybe that switch in the above image selects:
    external decoder=preamp in, using volume
    main in= direct to power amp, bipassing the volume

That sort of makes sense, and tallies with Yamaha's switch comment - but if you have the manual, best to make sure ;)

To get the 5.1 analog inputs, you then need to press the tape monitor (I think) button, to the right of the effects off button on the front panel IIRC :)

domfjbrown, Sep 1, 2005
  6. neek

Garmt

I can see a small switch there on the back. Put it in the 'external decoder' position, NOT the 'main in' position!

EDIT: solution already mentioned... :rolleyes:

Garmt, Sep 1, 2005
  7. neek

neek

I am stuck at work, it's really annying, I wan't to go home any try it!!! Thank you for all the replies. :)

neek, Sep 1, 2005
  8. neek

neek

YEY, just to let you all know it was down to that switch on the back! Hurrahhhhhh.
    cheers all.

neek, Sep 2, 2005
  9. neek

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Sweet as :) Good work!

domfjbrown, Sep 2, 2005
Ask a Question