Sony Ericsson K700i

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dev, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Dev

Dev Moderator

Anyone own this 'phone? what's the battery life like?

I've had one for about 2 weeks, I really like the 'phone but the battery only lasts a couple of days. My previous 'phone (Sony Ericsson T68i) lasted at least 4 days. Tomorrow is the last day for me to return the K700i if I'm unhappy with it, so any helpful comments today would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dev, Nov 9, 2004
  2. Dev

merlin

Dev,

sadly the latest generation of handsets do display poorer battery lives than earlier models, whatever the manufacturers claim. There is a price to pay for all that processing power and display resolution.

merlin, Nov 9, 2004
  3. Dev

ditton happy old soul

I agree about these tiny modern phones - my mobile, or field phone as its called, has a small handle you wind which can get a pretty good signal even when its raining ...

ditton, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Dev

Dev Moderator

Hi Merlin,

I know what you mean about manufacturers claims but there is huge difference between a claimed 300hr standby time and about 60 that I've seen.

A pity really, because I like phone, particularly the calendar and address book which I sync with MS Outlook. I don't really want a PDA, too expensive, cumbersome and OTT for me.

I'll use the time honoured scientific way (i.e. toss a coin :D) to decide whether I keep it.

Ditton,

I have a wind-up charger, which I may start using now :D.

Dev, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Dev

Will The Lucky One

I have a K700i, and yes the battery life on it is poor :( definitely worse than my old T610. 2 days is about average if you're using the thing a bit, if its just on standby then you might eke 3 and a bit days out of it.

Some things cane the battery life though, bluetooth for one, and at the weekend I needed to use the camera light as a torch to avoid falling into a small ditch or two :D but the phone was flat inside 20 minutes with the light on...no surprise really, as its not a torch ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2004
    Will, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Dev

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

He he I remember my dads mobile phone back in the days, you could get a larger battery which lasted 6 hours!

And here we are moaning 2 days is not enough

garyi, Nov 9, 2004
  7. Dev

Dev Moderator

It's got a light? why? Maybe I should read the manual, what am I thinking :yikes:

I don't use bluetooth, just infra red.

Dev, Nov 9, 2004
  8. Dev

Dev Moderator

Yes Gary, we are moaning that 2 days aren't enough but only because the manufacturers say it should last 12 days. A slight discrepancy I'd say.

Dev, Nov 9, 2004
  9. Dev

julian2002 Muper Soderator

my 5140 lasts for bloody ages. and it's got a torch, compass and spirit level built in and can take a snap on gps cover too - but i'm guessing that will severly knacker the battery life - so far it's been on since friday and has been used pretty heavily and it's on an indicated full charge still!!!
    i can also drop it and or sweat on it without it going kaput which is more than i can say of my p800 :(
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 9, 2004
  10. Dev

Will The Lucky One

The light is basically a bloomin' bright white LED on the back of the phone, as an additional light source for the camera. I didn't know it had one either until I turned it on, wondering what the light on/off option meant in the camera menu, then turned the thing round and almost blinded myself :rolleyes:

Will, Nov 9, 2004
  11. Dev

merlin

Dev, standby is measured by switching on a phone and touching nothing whilst receiving a full signal. To give you an idea, a one minute call will use 20 minutes of standby typically, a weak signal will reduce it, and some of the new toys powered by high speed processors use battery very heavily.

Two days is fairly typical these days IME. If you want good battery life, don't get a handbag phone in the first place ;)

merlin, Nov 9, 2004
  12. Dev

Dev Moderator

Merlin, how do you know I "touched" the 'phone? I was on holidays for a week so didn't use it much.

Anyway, if short battery life is the price I have to pay for this phone then so be it. After all, I don't want a bigger handbag, do I? ;) (no need to answer Merlin!)

BTW, we have a couple fo Nokia 7210s (?) in the family and they last over a week, despite getting more abuse.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2004
    Dev, Nov 9, 2004
  13. Dev

HenryT

I've had a K700i since July. The battery life on this phone is about the best on any phone that I've ever owned :eek:, but having said that if you look list of phones I've owned in the past you'll probably not be surprised:

Orange SPV (Mk1), Motorola L7060 Timeport, and Philips Digia Mk1 (crappy BT Cellnet PAYG thingy).

I tend to leave my phone switched on 24/7. Battery life tends to last around about 5 days in standby for me, but as Will says I've also noticed that using Bluetooth runs down the battery really fast. Also noticed initially that it took quite a few charge and discharge cycles before the battery life came fully up to spec.

Re the camera light, go into camera mode and use the 5 key to toggle it on/off.

HenryT, Nov 9, 2004
  14. Dev

michaelab desafinado

Mate of mine and his wife have him 'n' hers K700i phones and no complaints about battery life. Since my mate is usually highly critical of poor battery life in phones it suggests to me that it's fairly good (which is about 3-4 days in most people's books).

My P800 'smartphone' usually lasts about 3 days.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 9, 2004
  15. Dev

Dev Moderator

I went to the shop where I bought the upgrade from and was told that the battery life should improve after a few "good" charges, as Henry's experienced. However, they gave me a replacement battery anyway. I think I'll keep the phone.

Thanks guys.

Dev, Nov 9, 2004
  16. Dev

HenryT

Yeah, it's not a bad phone. The only thing I'd like to see on the phone which it doesn't have and seems like a bit of an omission would be some kind of memory card slot. Seeing as it doubles as an MP3 player, the 40Mb onboard memory is a bit insufficient.

Oh, and it's a bit of shame the web browser on the phone doesn't seem capable of displaying anything other than WAP pages, despite it's claim of HTML capability. The ability to browse Zerogain on the old SPV was a great party trick! :D

HenryT, Nov 9, 2004
  17. Dev

Dev Moderator

Henry, I don't need any of those features. I just wanted a "good" phone which can sync with MS Outlook for calendar, Contacts and Notes. Having said that, I did use my old T68i for remote dialling into work when I was on call. It worked OK for Telnet. Edit: Sorry, I should've added that the phone was only providing a connection for my laptop, it wasn't running Telnet.

Perhaps you should look at the P910 or XDAIII. I know a couple of people who run all sorts of apps such as Telnet, route finder etc., even Citrix (I think) on their XDAIIs. To me that's just sad if you consider the size of the screen (not to mention the painful "typing"). I'd just use my laptop.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2004
    Dev, Nov 10, 2004
  18. Dev

osama Perenially Bored

I think you should buy a li polymer type of battery rather than use the standard li ion that comes with the phone. FWIK a li polymer battery has a longer use than the ion one.

regards

osama, Nov 10, 2004
  19. Dev

Dev Moderator

You mean buy a battery? :yikes: I upgrade to avoid buying battery for the older phones :D.

Seriously though, it is often cheaper to get a new phone than a battery from the phone manufacturers. I will have a look though. Cheers.

Dev, Nov 10, 2004
  20. Dev

osama Perenially Bored

Cheapest upgrade to a mobile is a battery as isolation pods are to a system
    :D

regards

osama, Nov 10, 2004
Ask a Question