Sony P900 crash course

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lhatkins, Oct 31, 2005.

1. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Hi Guys
    Well the guy at work did actually come through today, and I am now the proud owner of a Sony P900, so now what.

I found I could increase the font size to larage which seems to be
    good and readable, so my first worries have been taken care off.

Being as all my previous phones where nokia's I'm a bit lost, not
    being the type to read manuals, I wondered if there where any P900,P910 users out there who could help.

Firstly I need to transfer my contact from the Nokia to the P900 the ones on the Sim are fine but how to I get the phone ones over, how do I activate the IR? and where's the port!

Ring tones and such like, where are they found?

What are the best sites for apps, themes, etc,

Cheers

lhatkins, Oct 31, 2005
  2. lhatkins

michaelab desafinado

Applications -> Control Panel -> Connectivity (if I remember correctly). The IR port on the P800 is on the left side of the phone and it's transparent. Not sure if they moved it for the P900.

Control Panel lets you change most things. Have a play. It's nothing like any other Nokia or SE phone as it uses the Symbian UIQ system.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 31, 2005
  3. lhatkins

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Ringtones and such tend to be found uder profiles. IR and Bluetooth (if available) tend to be under connectivity.

Not sure about how best to transfer the numbers on the phone. You can send them via IR or bluetooth, but might be better to put your sim back in the old phone and save them to the sim too.

As Mike says, have a play.

MO!, Oct 31, 2005
  4. lhatkins

michaelab desafinado

Ringtones etc. for the Pxxx series are a bit separate from everything else. They are set in the "Phone" application (just open the flip) under Preferences (or something similar). One of the small issues I have with the Pxxx series is that the phone part and PDA part seem to be rather poorly integrated. If you have a Control Panel app then you'd expect to be able to change phone type settings (ring tones etc.) there aswell...but you can't.

MO! - the P800 doesn't have Profiles ;)

michaelab, Oct 31, 2005
  5. lhatkins

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

This is sort of related but not quite. I have the Sony K300i and have a data cable however I can't get the software it came with to find my phone. I am using some shareware program at the moment but this only works for 7 days. Apparantly there is a bug with XP SP2 and Sony have released a patch.

So does anybody know of a way round this or any decent freeware mobile phone applications? It can be Windows or Linux.

amazingtrade, Oct 31, 2005
  6. lhatkins

michaelab desafinado

michaelab, Oct 31, 2005
  7. lhatkins

Cheers guys, yep transfered the contacts by IR, one by one, (why can't they have a transfer all option :) ) cheers guys for that, seems now though its only reading the contacts in the phone and not from the Sim, any ideas?

Seems the sounds are under Control panel > Sounds, you can tell a girl had this phone, oh very dodgy mp3's on there!

Do you know what type of Memory stick is compatible with this phone? Is there a size limit?

lhatkins, Oct 31, 2005
  8. lhatkins

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Tried it didn't work but I have had another play with the Sony's one and Com5 was disabled by default, COM5 is the USB port so thats what the problem was. Hopefully I should get FloAT to work though by doing the same thing.

amazingtrade, Oct 31, 2005
  9. lhatkins

michaelab desafinado

Lee - the P900 uses Memory Stick Duo cards which go up to 128Mb. Not sure if will accept the newer (but identical in size and format) Duo Pro cards that go up to 2Gb.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 1, 2005
  10. lhatkins

Ya that is the problem, you can't buy duo cards now they're all pro's, the sony site is not very helpful either, guess I'll have to find someone who has a duo pro card and test it, I was hoping to get a 512mb card to store some mp3's.
    One thing I'm a little disappointed about is the lack of office software, marketed as a PDA this is the sort of applicaiton I'd expect to find, I know they put quickoffice on the 910 but I'll actually have to buy something for this P900.
    Still can't get it to see the contacts on my SIM card, which is a little strange.
    Did you keep the flip / flap thing or ditch it, at the mo, I'm finding it more of a pain than anything else, but it does help protect the screen a little I guess, but I can see myself removing it, if I can work out how to bring the phone pad up in PDA mode.

lhatkins, Nov 1, 2005
  11. lhatkins

michaelab desafinado

You'll find that transferring MP3s of any size will take forever if you use the phone itself (rather than a standalone card reader). The cable link is dreadfully slow.

ISTR that the Pxxx ignores contacts on the SIM card during normal use. You can get it to import all the SIM card contacts to the phone memory though.

I used the keypad flip. Otherwise you can't do anything one-handed but it's a matter of preference. To bring up the phone pad in PDA mode you just select the "Phone" application (IIRC).

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 1, 2005
  12. lhatkins

HenryT

Lee, I have a 2 gig MS Duo Pro card you can try out. ;)

HenryT, Nov 2, 2005
  13. lhatkins

Hi Harry, so you finally managed to get one :) I remember you saying you wanted to get one but no one could supply it, heck that must a host a furtine, 1 gig ones are about £50+ on ebay.

lhatkins, Nov 2, 2005
  14. lhatkins

Need more help sorry, I can't get the 'puter to see the Sony, I put it in the Sync station and the light comes on, but the computer refuses to see it, it also doesn't seem to be charging in it either, there is only one way it can go in the station, are these things known to give problems, I get get a replacement off ebay for £12 but just want to make sure that this is the part at fault. Why couldn't they make their software work over bluetooth would have been a lot eaiser.

lhatkins, Nov 4, 2005
  15. lhatkins

michaelab desafinado

For the charging thing - have you plugged the charger cable into the base of the sync station? It doesn't charge over USB.

Getting the computer to see your P900 can be a right PITA. The "PC Suite" software that comes with the phone is pretty flaky.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 4, 2005
  16. lhatkins

Yep I plugged in the powerv cable into the sync station, shame it an't charge from usb would save using another plug socket and cable!

No amount of wiggling will make the dam phone connect :(

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2005
    lhatkins, Nov 4, 2005
  17. lhatkins

Hum, it also appears that this phone does not support MS duo pro, and after googling around a bit this turns out to be a SONY software issue, only solution is to flash the phone with firmware from a 910 phone. This sucks.

lhatkins, Nov 6, 2005
  18. lhatkins

Monkeyphonix

128mb is your max card size...yep, tired of a lack of memory on my P910 I invested in an I-mate Jam. Its a pocket pc and phone combo and is quite smaller than my old P910i.

They are bringing out a new 900 series, P990 I think, with 2mp camera, bigger memory and takes duo cards up to 2gb.

Monkeyphonix, Nov 7, 2005
  19. lhatkins

Hi Monkeyphonix

I suppose you sold your P910 a? the 910 didn't have the memory card limit, this seams to be a P800/P900 issue, but yes I'm starting to see there are a lot of limitations to this device I just don't like. Maybe I set my hopes too high, I wanted a PDA and a Phone combined, which sadly the P900 isn't, well glad I didn't buy this off ebay since I would have been really upset paying those prices, I know where I'm gona sell it though! :)
    P990 is our of my price range, and probably the I-mates are too, I'm a Orange P&G user so would look to buy a sim free handset.

lhatkins, Nov 7, 2005
  20. lhatkins

michaelab desafinado

In what way is the P900 not a PDA?

michaelab, Nov 7, 2005
Ask a Question