Sony P900 crash course

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lhatkins, Oct 31, 2005.

1. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Well obvioulsy I misunderstood what this phone was then, but I distictly remember it being marketed as one.
    Ops misread your post, geez I'm tired today.
    Ok well it doesn't "assist" :lol: for a start, I can't personallise it, so I guess the only truth is the digital bit.
    Ok, serioulsy, its the lack of office applications, I guess my interpitaion of a PDA is different to anyone elses, when I hear PDA I expect to find a device capable of most office functions.
    I guess I'm just a little frustrated at its shortcomings especcially when I find out that they're software based and purposely done, ie the memory stick issue was a software ply by SE so they could sell the P910, the P900 WILL take MS duo, but the firmware will not support it, a firmware has been "hacked" from the P910 to work on the P900 to resolve this issue, but not available from Sony, now that's just not cricket!

And I still can't get the POS to communicate with my computer or charge via the docking station, I've got another coming from ebay.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2005
    lhatkins, Nov 7, 2005
  2. lhatkins

Monkeyphonix

I was under the impression the P910 only took 128mb, and tried a 1gb mem stick in it which didn't work.

http://www.mobymemory.com/Memory_Stick_Duo_Pro_Memory_Cards.asp

They even say it won't work in one here.

The I-mate Jam, takes some 2gb cards and not some others, according to XDA Developers site, I've only tried a 1gb in it.

Monkeyphonix, Nov 7, 2005
  3. lhatkins

Monkeyphonix

Orange SPV C500 is a good phone, the camera is not very good, but I expect thats not really a problem. I think they take up to 1gb min sd, they come with a measley 16mb though. Do everything a P910 does and smaller and easier to use, but the screen is smaller. You can get them on ebay for 80 quid. Or brand new from Orange for 120 pay-go. Runs MS 2003SE Mobile software. Syncs via usb cable hassle free.

Monkeyphonix, Nov 7, 2005
  4. lhatkins

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My sister reckons her W800 will take up a 4GB card but I some how doubt it. It came with a 512MB as standard though so you think it would take a 4GB especialy as its marketed as a phone/MP3 player.

amazingtrade, Nov 7, 2005
  5. lhatkins

Well the P910 WILL support 2gb MS Duo, can't find a spec sheet, but I got this from the esato.com forum beleive me I've been doing a lot of reasearch on this weekend! :)

The site you listed says (Not for s700i, P900, P800 ), so the P910 will work, its only the P800 and P900 that will not, and what's annoying about this is that its a software not hardware issue. grrrr.

My mate has a C500, not a big fan of it really, small screen, locked to Orange certififed software, and worst of all an MS operating system! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2005
    lhatkins, Nov 7, 2005
  6. lhatkins

HA ARR I think I've fixed the Docking station sync problem, dodgy usb driver, after sifting though pages and pages of forum threads I found a fix, another nail in coffin for XP me thinks! Anyway phone can now talk to computer, but strangely still refuses to charge on the station, WTF's up with that?

lhatkins, Nov 7, 2005
  7. lhatkins

Monkeyphonix

Max size for this and K750i is 2gb.

Monkeyphonix, Nov 8, 2005
  8. lhatkins

Monkeyphonix

I've still got it, its Orange Branded,pretty sure its a P910 because it was an update of one that looked the same.

The I-mate Jam on Orange is the M500, but they are all whats called an HTC Magician thats the manufacturer. Personally I like the MS operating system.

Nokia 9300 is a good phone too, pick the 9500 if you need wifi.

9. lhatkins

Easy way to tell, the P910 has a thumb querty keyboard on the underside of the flip, but yes other than that the units are similar.

Hum now the nokia's do look interesting.

Nothing really wrong with the MS OS for the phones, I just don't agree with their policy (orange) of locking it down so you can't install any software only Orange.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2005
    lhatkins, Nov 8, 2005
  10. lhatkins

michaelab desafinado

Pity they are as big and heavy as a house brick though.

michaelab, Nov 8, 2005
  11. lhatkins

Monkeyphonix

Yeah, because a laptop is so small in comparison, much easier to carry one about. :rolleyes:

12. lhatkins

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

amazingtrade, Nov 8, 2005
  13. lhatkins

Nice one AT, in hignsight that is what I should of bought, I do like the Palm's, they seem very well thought out, their PC software is great, if its anything like the Palm 3x I used to have, the Palm Desktop rocked. I like the idea of having a keyboard, not sure how pratical they are, and also a huge plus, it they have Linux support.
    The major thing that put me off the Palm's was the poor screen quality, I could barely read the 3x screen, but I guess they've improved them since, I really need to go and try one out, and stop messing about with a device that really isn't going to do what I want it to.

lhatkins, Nov 8, 2005
Ask a Question