Sony PS3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jerrykan, Dec 10, 2008.

1. jerrykan

jerrykan If it moves, punk it

As a long term user of the Xbox system, enjoying in particular the online gaming options, I am rather surprised how highly I rate the PS3. Online gaming is not quite as good as Xbox but is getting better. However, in evry other aspect it is the far superior system.
    1. A brilliant, cost effective, Blu-Ray player. Now blockies have a good choice I am watching more movies than ever. They look superb on my Pioneer Plasma.

2.Great games console, deathly quiet compared to the clunky Xbox, and better all round build quality.

3. Great media storage device - went down PC world with my mate ( he works in IT ) bought a 250 Gb hard drive for £40.00 and installed it in less than 5 minutes. After watching him install it I can safely say anyone could swap it over. It now holds all our family photos as yet another back up. It is extremely quick at reading and downloading pics from my DSLR. Not quite so good as a music player, I know the original 60gb ones had SACD playback but have not heard one of these

4. It updates its own software by looking for updates every time you go online. I also believe this machine warrants the best ancillaries, I use black ravioli and a Nordost Vishnu power lead and have put some Bybees on the power lead.

I would like to know if anyone else is as convinced as I am by the PS3. I sometimes feel I am sounding a bit 'evangelical' when I start proclaiming its features to friends!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008
    jerrykan, Dec 10, 2008
  2. jerrykan

zygote23

I quite liked it when I tried out my cousins. I didn't like the quality of the games though and still think the graphics are not as good as the sexbox. Also with the recent Xbox dash upgrade you can copy your games to the hdd which makes the console pretty silent.

I'd been very tempted by the Blu ray aspect but will prolly go for a dedicated cheapo Panasonic player soon.

zygote23, Dec 10, 2008
  3. jerrykan

FrankDeckard

Nope, you're correct.

I have two in the house and I can't see a reason to buy a stand-alone Blu-ray player at this point. I'm not the "gamer" I once was, but I think the entire product was well thought out.

My kids still prefer the Wi. They requested Wi games for Chanukah and didn't even act as if we own a PS3.

FrankDeckard, Dec 10, 2008
  4. jerrykan

FrankDeckard

If you are going to buy a Panny Blu-ray player, go for the 35. Better player.

Stay away from the Pioneer and Denons.

FrankDeckard, Dec 10, 2008
  5. jerrykan

Mr_Sukebe

Have to say that my PS3 is the dogs danglies.
    In addition to JK's comments, it was a £50 job to replace the standard internal HD with a 250GB unit, and more recently, I added PlayTV, which is a very easy to use PVR with good video output and costs all of £60. As media (excluding music) source, I can't think of a better all-rounder.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 10, 2008
  6. jerrykan

lbr monkey boy

JUDAS!!!!!!!

lbr, Dec 10, 2008
  7. jerrykan

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Surely a games console is all about the games? The only PS3 title that looks interesting to me is MGS4. The SexBox has dozens of high quality titles (in fact, I have been very impressed with the OVERALL quality of software on the machine. Much better than in previous generations).

It is an astonishingly capable device though. The graphics that thing can churn out are truly breathtaking.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Dec 11, 2008
  8. jerrykan

BTW Jerrycan, but a Nordost power cable for the PS3? Come on....

9. jerrykan

You are right to question it Turtle but I can assure you, on an AB test I did with 300 / The Orphanage on Blu-Ray, it showed improvements.
    It is a shame Sony don't make an upgraded PS3 with superior connections, an digital 75 ohm connector for instance. This ain't going to happen but the machine's general build quality does warrant it. In answer to your previous question, having had 4 Xbox 360s go ring of death on me and having stood in Game whilst they went through 5 to get to one that worked ( no exagerration ) I am no longer a fan of Microsoft. MS rushed the production and it shows. The actual Xbox exclusives are now minimal, I can only think of Gears of War.

jerrykan, Dec 11, 2008
  10. jerrykan

Samantha

I have a PS3 which I use mainly as media centre for watching downloaded HiDef TV shows (no SkyHD subs for me!) and films, also good as said for photos.
    Only game I seem to use on it recently though is Buzz when got mates round.
    I also have a Wii though and for social gaming, the Wii is better at that.

So in short - PS3 for Media device. Wii for games.
    (Although if you want to spend hours on solo-play gaming, the PS3 is much more powerful obviously and has some good games.)

Samantha, Dec 11, 2008
  11. jerrykan

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerrykan
    As a long term user of the Xbox system, enjoying in particular the online gaming options, I am rather surprised how highly I rate the PS3.

JUDAS!!!!!!!

I actually prefer the term

DUDAS!!!!!!

jerrykan, Dec 11, 2008
  12. jerrykan

Agreed, they are totally unreliable and I'm on my second 360 in 18 months.

Given that Sony loose about £1000 on every PS3 they sell, I think adding more niche touches would be a little too much to ask.

DT

13. jerrykan

zeabre

Just started streaming via Mediaplayer to the PS3....works an absolute charm from my NAS...I love my PS3, even more now that I can watch movies from the NAS or laptop wirelessly...Quality excellent with no loss.

zeabre, Dec 11, 2008
  14. jerrykan

cliffyboy

Although not currently owning a PS3 but an Xbox, there are difinate areas that the PS3 blows the xbox away, but in music streaming, lossless too the xbox, beats the sony hands down.

Just being able to stream all music from my pc wirelessly is excellent as it also avoids the xbox'x fan spinnig round, so a definate contendor for an excellent source in my music room. As the fan is the xbox's nightmare, streaming wirelessly has helped greatly, the soundsateg is excellent, the dynamics are quick and very well preseneted.

So Xbox all the way, plus I only play halo 3 and NOTHING else, so no need for a PS3. yes, blu-ray would be nice, but not just yet.

cliffyboy, Dec 16, 2008
  15. jerrykan

Watched Hell-Boy II on Blu-Ray last night. Storyline was a bit lacking, but the colours, textures and general cinematography was superb. Watched it with 2 mates, ( both photographers ) and both said it was amazing. Also noticed Blockies have now got a more in-depth collection and more copies of each film.

jerrykan, Dec 17, 2008
  16. jerrykan

sastusbulbas

How the hell do Sony loose about £1000 on every PS3 they sell?

sastusbulbas, Dec 19, 2008
  17. jerrykan

PumaMan

The PS3 - Media Centre trying to be a console.
    The 360 - Console trying to be a Media Centre.

Sony really need to get their act together with the PS3. They really messed up this xmas. Though in tribute to them I have now actually seen one in a home rather than on display in a shop. Only one mind. All the rest are Wii's and 360's.

They need a price drop and to get the next GT game out fast. The main reason to buy a PS3 in it being the cheapest BD player is now no longer valid.

Very strange indeed.

PumaMan, Dec 29, 2008
  18. jerrykan

A friend of mine ( who, incidentally works in I.T. ) has a Wii, a 360and a PS3. He, even more than me, is an avid gamer and once he saw the PS3 and recognised its advantages he really no longer uses the Xbox and the Wii is used only by his wife and their six year old daughter. I do agree the 360 online play is superior but we still have our Friday night game sessions with 2 PS3 consoles, 2 T.V.s, 2 copies of Call of Duty 5, all in the same room and a shared 20meg broadband connection.
    In some respects it works better than the 360 setup as there is no router conflict.

jerrykan, Dec 29, 2008
Ask a Question