Sorry about not getting the ATC info but....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dominicT, Sep 5, 2005.

1. dominicT

dominicT former member

...someone told ATC that the information was for Zerogain rather than for my personal use (ATC sent me an email explaining this). If I now ever get their info (which would actually have been useful in my professional work) I will post it here. Now who wanted the data buried......

dominicT, Sep 5, 2005
  2. dominicT

Tenson Moderator

Why wouldn't they want you to have it for posting on Zerogain? Surely their spec should not be a secrate!

Tenson, Sep 5, 2005
  3. dominicT

penance Arrogant Cock

Maybe the spec is inacurate ;)

penance, Sep 5, 2005
  4. dominicT

Ben L

Dear Dominic,

No one told ATC that the SCM50 data was for the Zerogain forum, I saw for myself from the posts.

I will get you all the info you are after as soon as possible but I am very busy over the next 2 weeks.

In the mean time will Devil and 3D try not to kill each other as your constant bitching is very amusing and I would miss it dearly.

Cheers,
    Ben
    R&D Engineer
    ATC Loudspeakers

Ben L, Sep 5, 2005
  5. dominicT

dominicT former member

convenient

ATC employee discovers heated ATC thread on Hifi forum at the time that ATC data is asked for. Data not available whilst thread is open. Hmmmm...... one for all you conspiracy theorists out there.

Ben, would appreciate the info, have also asked PMC, Genlec, Dynaudio and Mackie for same.

dominicT, Sep 5, 2005
  6. dominicT

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Thankyou Ben.

Im glad that you dont take the bickering we sometimes get too seriously.

We'd welcome some factory published statistics from a highly regarded speaker manufacturer such as ATC.

There were questions raised by some about the accuracy of the measured statistics in the recent hifi review (as you may have read).

Please feel free to set the record straight on whether you felt these statistics were a fair representation of the loudspeaker.

All the best

Chris

bottleneck, Sep 5, 2005
  7. dominicT

zanash

I think ATC don't want you to see the info....as it probabley does not support some of there claims...Otherwise what would the problem be ?

zanash, Sep 6, 2005
  8. dominicT

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

quote: "Maybe the spec is inacurate"

Very good!

pauldixonuk, Sep 6, 2005
  9. dominicT

Ben L

Hi All,

There is no problem at with making the measurements you want publicly availalable. I am happy to do so.

In order for them to be as accurate as possible I want to make all the measurements at the same time using the same pair of loudspeakers. Given that you have asked for on axis, off axis, distortion and power compression it is going to take some time.

I have already sent some on axis measurements I had to hand.

But then, is it even worth our while? If the measurements are average we get slated, if they are good then we'll have fixed them.

Regards,

Ben

Ben L, Sep 6, 2005
  10. dominicT

Seems odd to claim being the most accurate in the world and not backing it up when asked! Silence does seem to speak volumes, as they say.

Releasing false measurements would ruin a companies reputation for honesty, so I can't see that happening either.

I'm suprised studio's don't routinely ask for this data when making purchasing decisions. I would have thought this data may have been useful when designing and evaluating their products too. Maybe it's all done subjectively? Thus making the marketing strapline meaningless?

pauldixonuk, Sep 6, 2005
  11. dominicT

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

One could even draw the conclusion that there's a possibility of manufacturers writing the own reviews for magazines :eek: (pure conjecture possibly?)
    Though does seem strange, the the most accurate monitors in the know plexiverse have to wait 2 weeks for the spec's (one may almost conclude they could be about to meausred measure as we speak :eek: ). (again pure conjecture)
    Maybe just a lost file some where Hum............................
    Maybe this explains Merlins and Robbo indifferent demo at Aston Down, with the infamous 'out of phase' 50's?
    Would be nice to see some spec though.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
    wadia-miester, Sep 6, 2005
  12. dominicT

dominicT former member

I am not a technical person, I am but a lowly musician and businessman but whilst I appreciate Ben's quest for consistent data collection, funny Bub said the same thing, I would have thought that if measurements were done correctly, that you could take several measurements over a period of time and they would all be pukka and you could compare your own product range against each other and of course against other manufacturers. I do know about control environments and it would seem to be simple to be able to control the parameters of any tests over a period of time. Makes the NCAP (car) testing look difficult if all cars have to be done on the same day!

dominicT, Sep 6, 2005
  13. dominicT

Tenson Moderator

Maybe they use the anechoic chamber for other things in-between so can't just leave the system set-up.

Tenson, Sep 7, 2005
  14. dominicT

Stereo Mic

It seems to me that certain members are ridiculing the company and questioning the results even before they are presented. That seems both rude and entirely indicative of the bias that exists on internet forums in general. Quite sad really.

Stereo Mic, Sep 7, 2005
  15. dominicT

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

It also explains Bens ''damned if you do, damned if you dont'' comment IMO.

What I'd say though, is that the thread will be read by hundreds of people (with the ability to think for themselves and make their own opinions) and you cant say that a noisy minority of people who like to argue about ATC on the forum are representative of zerogain.

So go ahead Ben, dont worry about might be written by a couple of people.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Sep 7, 2005
  16. dominicT

Sense of humour faliure?

pauldixonuk, Sep 7, 2005
  17. dominicT

Stereo Mic

Maybe,

I certainly don't see anything funny in the thread, given the contributions of owners of competitor's products.

Stereo Mic, Sep 7, 2005
  18. dominicT

greg Its a G thing

Didnt see any genuine irony in your posts. Claim humour = Getout clause?

greg, Sep 7, 2005
  19. dominicT

Dev Moderator

Makes me wonder whether there's any point in Ben providing the figures really, which I hope he will (despite all the speculation and premature conclusions). God, talk about rock and a hard place!

Dev, Sep 7, 2005
  20. dominicT

Markus S Trade

I for one will be very interested in seeing those figures/curves. And I'm sure the moderators will see to it that the debate does not degrade into a slanging match. Anaway, with Bub no longer on this forum, maybe the incentive to diss ATCs as a roundabout way of ribbing Bub is gone.

Btw. I thought Torsten's opening posts on the thread were quite civilized and not unduly critical of ATC. Lively debate is to be encouraged, as long as it sticks to facts.

Markus S, Sep 7, 2005
Ask a Question