Spacedeck upgrades - advice?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mellstock, Jan 9, 2007.

1. mellstock

mellstock

I'm now thinking about upgrading my NSA Spacedeck. Arm- Space Arm. Cartridge Denon DL304. Phonostage - Microgroove plus. Anyone gone down a similar path (Wave Power Supply, Heavy Kit or The Groove)? Moving on the Denon is not an option - still has a long life. All suggestions kindly received...
    ________
    Ford telstar picture

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
    mellstock, Jan 9, 2007
  2. mellstock

Gromit Buffet-blower

Welcome to ZG :)

I started in Feb'05 with standard Spacedeck & OL-modded RB250 - went to Spacearm 6 months later which brought massive improvement. I currently run a DV17D2.

Got my Heavy Kit early last year which brought about a very worthwhile improvement. It makes the deck sound marginally cleaner, and puts more 'body' into sounds, both vocal and instrumental. Strings' sounds are especially improved. Bass is less plummy and faster.

Can't comment on Wave Mechanic - never tried one. Had a Heed Orbit for a couple of weeks but although it brought about a slight improvement in clarity, it tend to kill the fabric of the music. It was as though it was groping around in the dark.

Gromit, Jan 9, 2007
  3. mellstock

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

I've known Tom Fletcher some years - when I had a spacedeck he told me that different power supplies made absolutely no difference to his deck due to design - just passing on the tip!

larkrise, Jan 9, 2007
  4. mellstock

stewartwen

Mell just like Gromit I too have had a Spacedeck. At first it was a standard t/t then I addeda Heavy kit which got rid of the slightly emphasised bass, smoothed out the midband too. Then I added a Wave Mechanic psu I could not hear any difference!
    So I am of the same opinion as Tom on this one.
    Go get a Heavy kit!
    Stewart

stewartwen, Jan 9, 2007
  5. mellstock

Gromit Buffet-blower

Agreed - the psu I tried made it sound worse...a couple of mates who came to have a listen reckoned the same. It was because of this experience that I ended up with the Heavy Kit* :(

And...

For the 500 quid or so the W/M costs it could be put towards a better arm or cartridge.

*It looks good too ;)

Gromit, Jan 9, 2007
  6. mellstock

mellstock

Thanks everyone, then - so far I make that three-nil to the heavy kit. Anyone got anything good to say about the power supply? Have seen some NSA dealers bigging it up.
    ________
    Ford mtx transmission history

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
    mellstock, Jan 9, 2007
  7. mellstock

yahoodie elbow valves,mmm loverly

Mine came with a Living Voice Mystic Mat when i bought mine from Kevin at Definitive audio. I can`t compare mine with a standard mat as the MM was already on, but it sure sounds superb. Apparently, the MM does the same as the heavy kit. i.e slightly cools the bass response, and makes it more "open".

I also use a Heed Orbit 2 power supply, and i definitely COULD tell the difference. I found it to open everything up even more (it wasn`t lacking in this area either) and make the sound more detailed and more "layered". You notice the effect more when you take it out, the soundstage shrinks a bit.
    I`m using completely different kit to Gromit though, so maybe it`s system dependant?. It definitely improved things for me,no question, puls you can turn the Spacedeck off, instead of unplugging it.
    For your information, kev at Definitive recommends the wave mechanic, but the Heed does the same thing.

yahoodie elbow, Jan 9, 2007
Ask a Question