Spacedeck

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

I've recently bought a Spacedeck (blind!) to replace my original Xerxes and will be collecting it in a week or two. I wondered if any Zerogainers have this deck and what they think of the sound? I will be using my Artemiz and DV17 on it so I'm pretty confident it will work well as I believe that the arm and cart make up much of the sound but I wondered what owners think.

Thanks
    J

Joolsburger, Oct 18, 2006
  2. Joolsburger

Ant

I like mine a lot. Using a Hadcock 242 integra and a Cartridge Man MMIII

Ant, Oct 18, 2006
  3. Joolsburger

zanash

have a word with uncle ants ...thats what he uses.........

zanash, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Thats interesting I'm pleased to see the Spacedeck can support a decent arm and cartridge. How would you describe the decks sound? Is it neutral, bright, dark ?? I've read lots but it's all contradictory.

5. Joolsburger

Baudrillard

Definitely can support various arms/cartridges- space arms, SMEs the OLs, Morch, Hadcock and more.

Neutral, perhaps a tiny bit dark sounding compared to some, great pitch stability.

In operation, it starts by gently pushing the platter. You can easily add an external Orbit or Wave Mechanic power supply with the added benefit of automatic 33/45 switching, handy with all those dance 12s. That said, for those with big dance music collections, I'd advise tracking down a 70s Technics or EMT because regular touching of the platter can be a bit cumbersome and slow ime.

Baudrillard, Oct 18, 2006
  6. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

I'll be using an Artemiz and Dynavector DV17mkII and I'm hoping for a good match, I think it may well work. I'm commited to the purchase now anyway so it better!!

I am really keen to hear how it sounds, I need something that makes the most of my largely bass led music and I think the Space may do that well.

7. Joolsburger

Andy 831

yep i like mine too. once set up you can forget it too, or thats the experience to date anyway

Andy 831, Oct 18, 2006
  8. Joolsburger

Baudrillard

It will. High mass!

Baudrillard, Oct 18, 2006
  9. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

I had a Systemdek IIs many moons ago which was a special version of the biscuit tin with a very heavy platter and a few other mods. At that time I used a Roksan Tabriz Zi and an Audio note Iq cartridge on it and it produced some really good music with massive bass. If I can get some of that solidity back but with a few of the standard Hifi Attributes I'll be very pleased.

10. Joolsburger

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

I think you'll like it. I've not had an Artemiz on it but have had several different arms and various cartridges and they've all performed well. A superbly built, rock solid stable and neutral platform. I wish I sold them. The shove start might not be for everyone mind, but that said once you are used to it, its second nature. It will certainly do bass.

Uncle Ants, Oct 18, 2006
  11. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

I am really looking forward to it! The thinking behind it is sound and now I've spoken to the factory about a couple of things I'm even more convinced that they couldn't make a duffer if they tried.

Can't wait shame I can't collect for a while.

12. Joolsburger

Gromit Buffet-blower

JB - hope you like it. :)

I've had mine since Feb '05 (I'm sure you'll find my lengthy comments on it by doing a search) and love it. Over period of several years I went from an LP12 to a Gyro to the NAS - the Spacedeck, to my ears and idea of how music should sound, is the best of that bunch. Before buying the NAS I listened to VPI Scoutmaster, Rega P5 & P7, and new Gyro SE (mine was a 'plinth' model).

I started with an OL-modded RB250 on mine but after 6 months or so went for the Spacearm having picked the brains of those who owned the combination already. The improvement the NAS arm gave was not subtle. Got the Heavy Kit a couple of months later.

All in all the Spacdeck's a super product - it's built like a tank, will never go off-tune and just sounds so 'right' (cop-out!).

Tom Fletcher's also a great guy to talk to - I've had several lengthy phone conversations with him. He is so passionate about his craft it's unreal.

Gromit, Oct 18, 2006
  13. Joolsburger

penance Arrogant Cock

Joel, sorry but cant give any input on the Spacedeck.
    Wouldnt mind hearing your thoughts on the DV17 tho.

penance, Oct 18, 2006
  14. Joolsburger

yahoodie elbow valves,mmm loverly

yup, went for the space myself. out of the top end rega and the gyro, the space beat em into a cocked hat.
    using a living voice mystic mat, a rb300 and dl 110 cart.
    hopefully getting a hadcock 242 integra arm soon.
    I would say the space is very clean, with no pitch variation at all, lovely tight bass and great airiness.
    The gyro was a lot warmer to my ears, using the same arm, and the hand started platter is great. very, very quiet too, silent in fact.
    built like a tank, looks the poodles gonads and will last for years and years.

yahoodie elbow, Oct 18, 2006
Ask a Question