Spades

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

All,

I just bought some PCOCC cables for a song and now need to get some crimp on spades. Any ideas where?

Thanks
    J

Joolsburger, Dec 16, 2003
  2. Joolsburger

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Would these be any use?

www.maplin.co.uk

JH64U : Spade 3.2mm 29p
    JH65V : Spade 4.3mm 39p
    JH66W : Spade 5.3mm 39p

BL21DE3

BL21DE3, Dec 16, 2003
  3. Joolsburger

Sid and Coke

I've just re-terminated my speaker cables with these: Gold plated Copper spades-cheap
    They seem to work OK for me although i had to be a bit inventive to get them to crimp properly (to my satisfaction) . I bought some of the maplin ones that have already been mentioned, but i didn't think they fitted onto my Rotel Pwr amps binding posts properly.

I've also done away with my banana plugs for the speaker connection and now use the QED 'filler' tubes , supplied to dealers to bulk up the diameter of thin cables when using QED Airloc terminations. I'll try and edit in a piccy soon. HTH.

Edited to add piccy links:
    To crimp the spades i used two different common crimping pliers , the first set was used to make an indentation in the crimp barrel to sit a small ball bearing. I then crushed the ballbearing down using a better pair of semi-pro ratcheting pliers.
    The small QED tubes where crimped using a pair of DMC 4 point Aircraft crimping pliers. All the connections where cleaned and treated with De-Oxit D5 and Stabilant 22 before and after making the crimp connections. The wire is cheapo QED qudos that i've had for years and just wanted to use for demo purposes.
    HTH.
    Crimped spades 1
    Crimped spades 2
    Crimps covered

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2003
    Sid and Coke, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Thanks for the help guys...

I am so smug, I just got some oldish Furukawa (now called Furutech) bi-wirable PC-OCC cable that is as thick as a garden hose!!! Has all the bits, cotton liner, tricky insulation and what have you. 9 meters for 20 quid all in. When I was selling this make of cables they started at that per meter...
    I have stuck it on the system with bare wires for now and guess what, sounds no different to my CS122 or the set of FFRC I made. Looks impressive though!!

Cables eh?

5. Joolsburger

MO! MOnkey`ead!

And now for some spades that'll not sound any different to bare wire on PC-OCC/CS122/FFRC either? But will make things easier :D

MO!, Dec 16, 2003
  6. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Absolutely.

Ask a Question